Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I put my ******* Perf. trans in today and while I was hooking up the shifter I noticed that when I put the trans in park I can still turn the torque converter. Is that right? I don't have any fluid in there yet, if that matters. This trans has a t-brake as well, don't know if that matters but I thought I'd mention it just in case.

Thanks for the help.

·
3,876 Posts
If the torque convertor won't turn the engine can't run. The output shaft should be locked in park though.

·
Registered
549 Posts
yes you will be able to turn the torque converter while its in park. I usually fill the converter up with fluid before installation to prevent pump starvation on start up.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
New ?

yes you will be able to turn the torque converter while its in park. I usually fill the converter up with fluid before installation to prevent pump starvation on start up.
Is it really bad for the trans if you don't put trany fluid in the converter? There was a little in there, will that help?

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
I always dumped a quart or however much it took in there before installation. Not sure if there's any way to "prime" it before start up. How far along are you with the install? May not be a bad idea to redo things with the fluid. A little insurance via labor, if you will, could save you from damaging parts.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts