Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 78 with a 496bbc running around 500 hp at the motor. Behind it is a 400 thm. Has a B&M shift kit and 2800 stall. Just last week I had posi, 3.42gears, n forged axels and c clip eliminators put in. Also, I will be installing new leaf springs, billstein shocks, and comp engineering slide a links. Have them but no time to put in yet.

Question is, what would be a good built tranny to put in the car? Right now it's running 2500 rpm at 60mph. It will mainly be a street car with maybe the occasional passes at the track one day, when I think it's ready. Or should I keep the 400thm.

Any suggestions, ideas, and opinions would be great. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
256 Posts
I think you should trade me your 400 for my 350 trans. I want a trans with OD for my daily driver and it sounds like you want a good street/strip trans. :yes:

·
Registered
744 Posts
I think you should trade me your 400 for my 350 trans. I want a trans with OD for my daily driver and it sounds like you want a good street/strip trans. :yes:
Wouldn't do you any good Calinova69 - 400 is not an OD transmission.

Ajram78 - As long as you are keeping those gears, you will be fine with the T400. It'll more than handle what you've got.

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
BB with TH400...

Keep the TH400...and consider the following;

Gear Vendors Over Drive unit...bullet proof...nothing like it.

ATI converter...either the Streetmaster or Treemaster units...they really make a difference.

Consider upgrading the shift kit/internals...again you can talk to ATI and see what they recommend..the B&M stuff is OK...but it is really entry level "consumer" catalog equipment. If you know what internals you have in the tranny it will help..type of clutches, sprag, etc...

***the governor is very important in these setups....you want a high shift point similar to the GM performance trannys found behind the L78 or L72 motors back in the day.

??? if you leave it in drive and let it shift on its own..what are the WOT rpm shift points.?? ..the factory high perf units shifted around 6500 rpms on their own...it's something to experience!

deep sump tranny pan, remote cooler and a trans oil temp gauge.

hope that helps..wilma

www.atiracing.com

·
Registered
670 Posts
Agreed, Keep the 400!

Ive been running a very well built 4L60e behind my 400rwhp car and within the first 3k miles broke the input shaft. 17k miles later in 7 months its done. First and second feels like im on ICE.

Only made 1 pass at the track, ever with that trans.

Im installing a 400 and swapping to Lower gears along with a turbo.

Ive been told im really only loosing 3mpg going to the 400. Well i averaged 23mpg anyway. so im fine with that.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Besides the Trans i think you will like your combo. I know my old big block liked a low gear!! With 411s my car was faster skipping second gear all together.

·
14,585 Posts
The 400 should be more than adequate for what you have. I have one behind a 468 with 550 hp and have had no problems. The 3:42 gears are great all around gears. I had some in my old 442 and have run them in my novas.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts