Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2 spd power glide hooked to a 194 six, trannys been shifting real hard, not between 1st and 2nd, but from park to reverse and so on. had the hood up and was shifting in the driveway and i could see the whole motor torqing over moving a few inches (seemed like a lot) as well as the car would lunge even w my foot heavy on the brakes....

checked the fluid, its full and doesnt seem to be burnt
stock column shift w lokar cable linkage for the kickdown (seems to be opperating fine)
any suggestions......

·
Premium Member
8,478 Posts
How fast is the engine idling? A fast idle will make the trans shift into gear pretty hard.

Randy (better than not shifting!);)

·
Premium Member
14,614 Posts
With two intact motor mounts, I don't think the motor should be moving that much.

Is it possible one is broken? I agree with 72 also; idle RPM could be high, exacerbating the issue also.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ill have to check my mounts, they looked good with a quick visual, but yeah it moves a lot more than id like it to....

idle rpm is high, (no tach so im guessing) probally around 1000+
been trying everything to get the idle to drop, but every time i lower it, the motor dies, ive adjusted the air bleeds helped a little, been messing w the return springs, cranked the throttle blades closed a little more , also helped a little,
my thought now is that something is stuck in the idle circiut of the carb, going to spray some carb cleaner in there tommorrow and see if that helps

(oh yeah, 390 holley 4bbl, vaccum secondaries)

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
maybe disconnect the throttle rod and confirm the carb is operating correctly. maybe the rod's too short/long keeping carb under throttle ???

all it takes is a little...

·
Registered
229 Posts
Have you checked your universal joints? Just a thought.

Lee

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for all the replies, turns out it was the carb w too high of an idle, or at least that was part of it (i swear there is a midget in my engine bay that messes w my carb just to piss me off)
i think what made the biggest difference was when i turned the throttle blades down (to close it off more) it essentially was staying open to much and running w a high idle like it was choked

also had a broken motor mount on the pass side, unbloted it and jacked up the motor and two pieces fell out, wasnt to hard to figure out what was wrong there,

no tranny rebuild yet.... just more messing w the carb......

1 - 7 of 7 Posts