Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the deal my nova is 77 with 350 but it has a 3 spd manual because the car came with a 250. I want better gas mileage and acceleration. I want to use a 5 spd manual. I was thinking about a 5 spd out of an s-10. Would a 5 spd out of a mustang also work I heard they were both the same a T-5 I think? The s-10 has a 2.8 would I be able to use the bellhousing of the 3 spd on the 5 spd? Would the 5 spd be able to hold up to a stout 350? Or would it have to be completely redone? Thanks Roy:chev:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Be careful, SOME t-5 transmissions have a clocked mounting position. Meaning that the bell housing has the holes tilted to one side so if you install the trans with your stock bellhousing the transmission will sit tilted. You would have to use the bellbousing out of the pickup. Then you would more then likley have to convert over to hydraulic clutch, because most T-5 equiped cars use a hydraulic clutch. The Ford T-5 is differant, and will not bolt up to a GM bellhousing. Lastley the T-5 is NOT a very strong transmission and will not hold up behind a built 350, unless you are VERY easy on the throttle. Your best bet as far as 5 speeds go would be to save up and buy yourself a Tremec TKO. Just my 2 cents.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts