Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is your preference th350 or a muncie 4 speed. I have a chance to get a 4 speed for about $400 bucks out of a 55 chevy. Im currently running a th350. I would like to have an extra gear and really dont mind a manual. My motor will be putting out about 460 hp. How much horsepower can this 4 speed handle w/o issues?

Thanks len

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I WITH YOU THE MORE RESEARCH I DO ON THIS 4 SPEED THE MORE IM LEANING THAT WAY. IM GOING TO FIND OUT SOME MORE ON THIS PARTICULAR TRANNY FROM MY MECHANIC. ITS COMING OUT OF A 55 CHEVY THAT WAS BOUGHT AT THE LAST B-J AUCTION IN WEST PALM. IM GOING TO SEE IF I GET THE CASTING #'S OFF OF IT AND RESEARCH IT SOME MORE. I JUST THINK THAT A 4 SPEED IN MY 66 WOULD BE MORE FUN THAN MY TH350.:devil:

LEN

·
Registered
577 Posts
A 4 speed will be more fun to drive, but keep in mind that the transmissions you are comparing both have a 1:1 top gear, meaning that you will see no difference in fuel economy or cruise rpm. Depending on which 4 speed you are talking about, the manual and auto trans will also have the same or similar 1st gear ratios as well.

Dan

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes I realized the mpg would not change. I also just found out that it is a borg warner t-10. Can anyone one tell me does this take a special adapter to install this tranny to my 66. Also will I need a different starter, I have a powermaster mini on there now. thanks

Len

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
If it is a BW T10, you don't want it. They are no stronger than a Saginaw. If it is a Super T-10, it is a good transmission. It will bolt right up to your Nova. It uses the same linkages as a Muncie. You just need the plate to mount the shifter to the tranny. The SuperT-10s use a 26 spline clutch and a 32 spline yoke. The standard T-10s use a 10 spline clutch and 27 spline yoke.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey guys, Im trying to come up with a list of parts that Ill need to do this conversion from an automatic to a manual(muncie tranny). Bellhousing, clutch, pressure plate, flywheel.... what is needed for the clutch pedal assembly? and does anyone know if I will need to a new starter. I have a powermaster mini on my th350 now.... any other parts that you all can tell about that I will need would be great.. thanks

Len

·
Registered
43 Posts
What is your preference th350 or a muncie 4 speed. I have a chance to get a 4 speed for about $400 bucks out of a 55 chevy. Im currently running a th350. I would like to have an extra gear and really dont mind a manual. My motor will be putting out about 460 hp. How much horsepower can this 4 speed handle w/o issues?

Thanks len
if you can get a muncie for $400 you should buy it anywa....thats pretty cheap

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
Several restoration stores sell the peddle and linkage kits. It is best to buy the kit so you have everything. The 1st and 2nd gen Novas have a unique bellhousing that clocks the clutch fork differently. Also, if you don't have a Chevy II engine block, you will need an adapter to mount the engine side pivot ball.

As for clutch and flywheel, They are standard parts. I believe you can only fit a 153 tooth flywheel with the Chevy II bellhousing. You existing starter should work if you flexplate is 153 tooth.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yea I'm not running an original chevy II motor... its a 383 stroker. So a reg bellhousing will not work? and where do I get this pivot ball adapter?thanks. Im kinda lost with the conversion.

Len

1 - 10 of 10 Posts