Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am right now doing my tranny coolant lines.

Has anyone done these before and what tool did you use to remove the lines from the tranny itself?

I know everyone is probably out today but maybe someone is here that can help

·
3,873 Posts
Tubing wrench unless you have already stripped them. Then a vise grip will do because you have to replace the tubing nuts anyway.

·
Premium Member
2,921 Posts
pretty easy job just take your time and it will be messy if the trans has fluid in it.. use a line wrench as stated.. and remember one line is sending the fluid to the raid and the other line is the return so dont get them mixed up...

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I bought prebent for my year car from ground up.

I cant really get a wrench on the nut with the headers in the way....But if thats how its supposed to be done I will keep trying. I was thinking those right angle open end heads...not sure what you call them..I will look them up on the Sears site.

·
Premium Member
2,921 Posts
those will work just be carefull on the new lines that you dont crimp or twist the line as you tighten them.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the help,

I had to remove the header it was just impossible for me to tighten the nuts on the tranny.

·
Premium Member
2,112 Posts
Maybe I'm a neanderthal or something, but I took mine off the tranny (4L60 like a 700R) with an open end wrench. It's just a tapered seat fitting like brake line. I think the tranny end takes either 1/2" or 9/16"...can't remember for sure.

Check with a tranny shop to see which one is the supply (out) and which one is the return (in). You don't want to get them switched. Also, if you are using any soft line be sure to flare the ends of the hard line or it may blow off under pressure.

Oh and yeah they are super hard to reach when the tranny is installed. You might try putting a jack under the tranny, removing the tranny cross member, and letting the tranny down on the jack. Be careful you don't ding the distributor when you do, but you might be able to reach the fittings.

Dave

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Maybe I'm a neanderthal or something, but I took mine off the tranny (4L60 like a 700R) with an open end wrench. It's just a tapered seat fitting like brake line. I think the tranny end takes either 1/2" or 9/16"...can't remember for sure.

Check with a tranny shop to see which one is the supply (out) and which one is the return (in). You don't want to get them switched. Also, if you are using any soft line be sure to flare the ends of the hard line or it may blow off under pressure.

Oh and yeah they are super hard to reach when the tranny is installed. You might try putting a jack under the tranny, removing the tranny cross member, and letting the tranny down on the jack. Be careful you don't ding the distributor when you do, but you might be able to reach the fittings.

Dave
It is a 350 tranny.

Well I am done....I had to remove the header. With the header on I could get a 1/2 wrench on the nuts, I took them off with the header on. But putting them on was another story. You cant start a nut with a wrench and I couldn't get my fat hands in there to start tighten them. With the header off I could get my hand on it.

As far as crossing the lines I just swapped it exactly the way I took it off, bottom hole on radiator goes to bottom hole on tranny, top hole to top hole.

My car is at a pretty steep angle so I didnt lose very much tranny fluid. From what I am reading I should wait till the car is down and level to check the fluid level.

So looks like I am done for the day.

I am going to start rating the suck factor for all the different repairs I do to my car.

So on a scale from 1-10 10 being major suck.

Headers where a 5
Tranny lines where an 8
Starter was a 4

Thanks for the help, I wish there where more Nova guys close to me but I am glad I have this site.

Also as a side not I purchased the pre made tranny lines from Ground Up. The bends where off some so I had to force the radiator ends on with a little bending...very little bending. Dont know if anyone has bought them from there before maybe I just got a bad batch :)

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
And thanks for not giving me a hard time about my misspelling in the thread title.

What is a tranny "libe" anyway?:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
2,112 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts