Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
On my powerglide tranny when I put the tranny in park and shut the engine down it kicks the shift lever to the left. Its an audible clunk and you can see the lever move a little bit. Why would it do this?

I need to remove the tranny anyway due to an incorrect flex plate/vibration issue.. Just want to make sure all is well before I put it back in.

-Tom

oh its column shift not floor mounted and my car is a 63

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
Tom, i saw the side view image of the engine you posted... any way of getting a straight on shot of the flexplate? do you have any other images? i know it's installed. i'd just like to be able to see what you have before you tear it down so we can confirm... of course if it's going on a rack and you remove the inspection cover on bottom of trans, you could rotate the engine so the holes in the flexplate can be viewed... the holes that i see drilled into the flexplate are what i'd like to see. maybe mark the flexplate with a Sharpie, rotate, remark, rotate etc so we can see the complete flexplate...

why is the shifter handle moving? that's a weird one. nothing should be contacting any shift linkage, nothing inside the trans should cause this... hearing a clunk isn't good... i'm hoping you don't have more issues that you're unaware of...

·
Premium Member
1,229 Posts
Maybe a loose or broken motor mount / tranny mount transferring the extra movement through the linkage to the column? Mine was doing this on start up when I didn't realize I had a broken driver's side mount. I have a column shift with a 700r4.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Tom, i saw the side view image of the engine you posted... any way of getting a straight on shot of the flexplate? do you have any other images? i know it's installed. i'd just like to be able to see what you have before you tear it down so we can confirm... of course if it's going on a rack and you remove the inspection cover on bottom of trans, you could rotate the engine so the holes in the flexplate can be viewed... the holes that i see drilled into the flexplate are what i'd like to see. maybe mark the flexplate with a Sharpie, rotate, remark, rotate etc so we can see the complete flexplate...

why is the shifter handle moving? that's a weird one. nothing should be contacting any shift linkage, nothing inside the trans should cause this... hearing a clunk isn't good... i'm hoping you don't have more issues that you're unaware of...

You know I was looking at it very closely and when the lever is in park the exhaust pipe is very close to the linkage.. My exhaust pipe was falling off. It was missing a bolt and all the other ones were very loose. Maybe the vibration of the motor caused the loose pipe to hit the linkage?

Check out how close it is:

Flyer:

I found a straight on shot of the flex plate I must've taken b4 install. I will post it in the other thread.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts