Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard several opinions on how to best cool a tranny, so I am hoping you guys can settle the question. I have a 4L60 that got cooked because the radiator cooler sprung a leak. So now it is all fixed and I am hoping I never have to deal with this issue again. The ride is a daily driver 3200 pound Sonoma that never gets raced...well....maybe occasionally at a light.:D

Is it better to just run the cooler lines through the radiator?

Is it better to just run the cooler lines through a good "air" cooler?

Is it better to do both?

What have you exeriences been like?

Thanks

Dave

·
Premium Member
13,309 Posts
if you want to avoid the radiator problem again.. get the biggest cooler B&M makes.... they make a type called the "plate and fin" these are the best at cooling... far better than the tube and fin type....

I prefer the radiator and cooler in series in street driven cars... but to avoid the problem like you had.. get the biggest B&M unit bypass the radiator and dont sweat it any more....

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
I agree with Veno, bypass the radiator and go for the B&M plate cooler, I have one of these installed and no issues whatsoever. I always questioned running the trans fluid through the radiatior because coolant temp is much of the times higher than what the trans should run at. I know alot of drag racers run it throught the radiator to acutally heat up the trans fluid faster.

·
Premium Member
5,493 Posts
^^X3 I will be using B&M's largest cooler. It comes with a thermostat controlled electric fan. I was looking for the best trans cooling I could find when I bought this part. I wnat my car fast, but I also want tp be able to drive it anywhere without heating problems.
Ron

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
For the one year my nova was on the road, I had a B&M cooler mounted in front of the radiator and installed in series with the stock radiator cooling system. Never had an issue but always wondered the best spot for mounting the extra trans cooler. Mine measures about 16" wide x 9 " tall.

·
Premium Member
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the info, guys!:D I have also heard that the plate type cooler is the best. I may end up with one of the ones with the fan because I also have a problem with where to mount it.

A small block is a VERY tight fit in a '91 Sonoma, and the rad is pushed as far forward as it will go. It is right up against the hood latch now with the AC condenser on the outside of the rad support right behind the grill. I think I can relieve the backs of the fins on the grill enough to get a tranny cooler in front of the condenser, but that's 2 coolers and the rad stacked up together. I may be able to find a spot back behind the cab, under the bed, where I can mount a cooler with a fan, but it is very tight there too with the spare, gas tank and exhaust.

If only these trucks were just a little bit bigger!!:eek:

Dave

1 - 7 of 7 Posts