Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just replaced the powerglide tranny for a th350 tranny. What i was wonder is i do i need a tranny cooler for the tranny?? The powerglide tranny that i had in my car didnt have one on it. Thats why i was wondering if i needed one for the th350?? I have had a friend tell me that i didnt need one, however a bunch more people said i do.

So what is better for the longivity of the tranny??

·
Registered
295 Posts
If you have a higher stall convertor then stock. The convertor will create more heat. Then it may be a good idea to install a cooler. I have been told (for what it is worth) "that every ten degrees cooler you keep your tranny, It increases the tranny's life by fifty percent".

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
Yes in my opinion you need one, the powerglide was air cooled and designed to operate that way, with the Th350 if you cant run tranny lines into your radiator then I would add one. You can get a cooler for $35 trannys cost a bit more to repair.

·
Registered
682 Posts
I would definitely get some sort of cooler. As stated above, the TH350 was designed to have a cooler from the factory (built into the radiator), so even with a stock stall speed I would want one.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts