Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought an original trailer hitch for my '64 Nova. It is made by Draw-Tite.
Does anyone have pictures they can post (looking up from underneath) on how it attaches and and where it attaches to? Or better yet, does anyone have any original installation directions? I would glady pay you to run off a copy and mail it to me. THANKS! [email protected]

·
Premium Member
8,478 Posts
My 81 El Camino had a hitch that looked similar, and was also close to the gas tank. When a kid in a Nissan decided to use my car to stop his car that was going 25, the hitch did get pushed into to gas tank, but it only dented it a little.

Randy (didn't blow up!):rolleyes: :D

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
DANNO said:
My wagon has a hitch. (seen here: http://community.webshots.com/photo/131887257/1131891908043465303tyIuWv) If yours is like that, I can take some better pics. I think mine is a very aftermarket one (maybe even homemade):D

Dan (musta been a tow car, maybe);)
That is cool Danno! That is the style I really wanted, a receiver style. Mine is different but, yes, I would like more pics to see how is is attached.

I don't know if you remember my red '64 SS from nats last year. But, I have a matching red '64 Vespa (90cc, 160 lbs. smallframe) that I want to tow to shows. I thought it would look cool but I could also cruise it down the street to get some lunch or whatever.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
861 Posts
For what it's worth, back in 1968 I towed a 5X8 U-Haul trailer with my 66 chevy II from Fl. to Va. 4 times using a hitch that actually "strapped over and bolted" into the bumper bolts. That hitch was provided by U-Haul. Never had a problem and the railer was loaded down! Used air shocks on the rear. At the time I used an old rubber inner tube between the bumper and the hitch to prevent scrathing the bumper.
Those were the days...riding along in the country roads with small town rest areas and good mom pop food stops...Phil

·
Premium Member
8,050 Posts
I was at a swap meet a few weeks ago; I guy had a 3rd generation bumper hitch. I really thought about buying it for my car. It would be perfect at car show when people asked why I had a trailer hitch; I could tell them I pulled my race car with it. I hitch would look great on your car, just for the novelty of it; it would fit in with the surfboard.

·
Registered
788 Posts
63 original bumper hitch:

Grandma bought a 63 four door sedan when I was in high school and I still have that hitch. It is not installed at the present. It mounts to the outside bumper bolts at the bottom with longer than standard bumper bolts and has two other bolts through the bumper under the license plate.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Craigert said:
Grandma bought a 63 four door sedan when I was in high school and I still have that hitch. It is not installed at the present. It mounts to the outside bumper bolts at the bottom with longer than standard bumper bolts and has two other bolts through the bumper under the license plate.
Cool! Can you post some pics? Is it for sale?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Phil I used to have a hitch on my '64 until ten years ago. It was not a reciever hitch but it worked quite well. It had a cross bar that bolted to the bumper supports with another bar attached to the trunk pan with three bolts. I to towed a 16' Cracker Box thousands of miles without any trouble whatsoever. For those not familiar, a Cracker Box it is a flat bottom race boat running a small block direct drive. Driver and lucky passenger ride in the stern. The the boat was fairly light so towing with the Nova was effortless. I went to take pictures but just realized I filled the holes, sorry.

By the way Phil my '64 SS is a numbers matching, 283 now 60 over, 4 speed. Second owner since '69.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Thanks for the info.
Too bad you already filled the holes, or still don't have the hitch.

My numbers matching 283 is now just 30 over. I wish I was only the 2nd owner! But, I am the 4th owner and have talked to all of the previous owners. My car was bought brand new at a dealership here in town. Although it burnt down in '69 I have an NOS license plate frame from the dealership, bolted to the back of my car.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Hey Phil I still may have that hitch laying around if I find it I'll post a pict.

BTW the first owner of my Nova is a family member and cries everytime he sees it. He sold it to me to buy a 912 Porsche and thats gone also.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks!
I could really use some good pics. Since you filled the holes, do you want to sell the hitch? I am missing that cross bar you were talking about.

Don't worry, it would be going to a good home;

1 - 14 of 14 Posts