Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hopefully next year I will be taking my 67 4 door across the country down rt 66 but my question is I wanted to get a small tear drop trailer can a inline six with a powerglide tow 800 pounds for 5000+ miles and would I need to do anything special to the chassis? Thanks for any help

·
Registered
329 Posts
I towed 800 pounds with a 1989 honda accord. I dont see a problem.
got you beat, my dad had a 89 civic and it towed a 2400 pound Geo Storm

and that Geo storm towed a Suzuki sidekick, but that was a different time.

·
Premium Member
1963 Chevy II wagon 400
11,864 Posts
Ditto on the hitches.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I didn't get to do my tow setup yet my motor went south but when I do you guy will be the first to know thanks for your input

·
Registered
788 Posts
Gotcha!

I once towed a full concrete loaded trailer in my 65 4 dr. sedan. Hmmmm about 20 years ago. It was scarry though. I am sure the trailer had more weight than the little 230 6 cylinder powerglide.

I would no more than a man in the moon do this today with a simple Chevy II bumper hitch, ouch!

·
Registered
407 Posts
if you think your nova cant do it

hey just incase you dont think your inline 6 can do it

this should give you some thing to think about

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

if that playschool wind up toaster box can do it.so can you

·
Registered
839 Posts
hey just incase you dont think your inline 6 can do it

this should give you some thing to think about

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

if that playschool wind up toaster box can do it.so can you
What is that? A micro toy hauler or a squared off teardrop? :D
I'm hoping to tow a tent trailer.

·
Premium Member
3,554 Posts
Back in the day , I pulled an empty double horse trailer using my 68 with a U Haul universal bumper hitch chained to its rear bumper..

It was a 230/stick car.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
The best I've seen was a 65 chevelle SS towing a 64 nova all steel 3200# car on a standard tandem axle 16ft open trailer! Dude had a hitch custom made tucked under the bumper welded to the frame and had a load equalizing hitch and trailer brakes!

My brother used to tow his small aluminum fishing boat with our 63 wagon 194 POS with a PG no problems according to him:rolleyes:

I thought about towing with a open trailer with a race car with the wagon but upgrading the brakes, stiffer springs and air bags, of course the engine I had for it would have had PLENTY of power and a th350 with the stock 3.08 rear end but with posi from my 64. Then have a custom hitch made for it, if possible. Then use the weight distribution hitch set up and trailer brakes.

·
Premium Member
882 Posts
Basics for Towing

It doesn't seem to me that anyone has done anything except tell you about things they have seen or done years ago.
I have been towing everything from tow dolly's to 3 car haulers since the 70's.

The very first thing you should consider is the hitch. Your basic light duty hitch, 2500 lbs and under, can be bolted or welded to the rear frame rails or through the trunk floor pan with a steel reinforcement on the inside of the pan. If you are going to bolt to the bumper in anyway, I suggest welding the bumper brackets at the frame and reinforcing behind the area the bracket bolts to the bumper. I will admit after re-reading your original post not all of this may be necessary for 800 lbs. Although are you sure you won't find another 600 lbs or so in coolers, clothers, etc, etc.
Any transmission used to tow for this distance should have an external cooler. Your PG is probably cooled through the radiator, therefore the hotter the motor gets, the hotter the trans fluid will get.
Check the ratio of your rearend. I would not try to tow anything without at least a 3:08 ring & pinion. The optimum gear would be a 3:36 with the PG.
Lastly the brakes. Although the 67 has upgraded brakes from the 1st gen's, they still will fade with repeated usage on downgrades and in the heat of summer. The disadvantage of the PG is you can't really help yourself slow down by downshifting. At least with a 350 turbo, you can downshift to 2nd gear to help control your speed on the downhill. Using the brakes on an extended down grade will not only heat them, causing fade, but there is always the possibility of the no-brake trailer trying to pass you.

The suggestions above are based on the fact you are planning an extended trip. We used to use all kinds of rigs just to get to the track on a Sat. night. The wear and tear of 5000 miles will requirer more than a hitch and lights.

By the way, I have driven and towed Rt 66 from IL to CA several times and although it is not as tough as the I-70 Vail Pass in CO or I-90 in WA & ID, it has a fair amount of elevation changes that will challenge your 67.

·
Registered
329 Posts
What is that? A micro toy hauler or a squared off teardrop? :D
I'm hoping to tow a tent trailer.
That is a Smart fortwo car with a 1 liter engine which can do 0-60 in 14 seconds

1 - 18 of 18 Posts