Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an opertunity to buy a new class II hitch for my van at a very reasonable price($45). The tow rate on the van is sufficiant for pulling the car/trailer but after looking at some hitches I noticed the rate for a class II hitch is 3500lb. The car is a stripped down 4th gen Nova w/no wipers, heater, carpet, headliner, door panels, seats......... Could I get away with using the class II hitch? Im not experienced at towing so I would appriciate the input.

·
Premium Member
3,758 Posts
What Fatcat said. I would not put my car on a hitch/trailer that "Just Makes It" :eek: Is saving even 100 bucks worth you Ride or you safty???:beat: JMO;)

·
Registered
128 Posts
I actually run a truck accessory store, and I agree, it would be worth stepping up to a class III. One other thing, a class II hitch only accepts a 1 1/2" insert, which are WAY weaker than the 2" insert a class III uses. But, a good set of distribution bars will definitely help out.

·
3,863 Posts
That rating is the towing capacity for the hitch. That includes car, trailer and anything else loaded on the trailer. I don't think there is enough capacity on a Class II for a car trailer.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Be careful about the tow capacity for the van too..my truck is rated high enough that I COULD tow a car on a trailer but I wouldnt want to. I have towed cars with trucks that have a greater towing capacity than my truck does and it was scary at times so I certainly wouldnt try it in my truck.

·
Premium Member
3,758 Posts
Well if you had an F350 SD CC 4X4 With a PowerStroke. You wouldn't have those problems!:eek: :rolleyes: :D

Flame suit ON!

Denis

·
Registered
475 Posts
DrDenny's 69 Rat said:
Well if you had an F350 SD CC 4X4 With a PowerStroke. You wouldn't have those problems!:eek: :rolleyes: :D

Flame suit ON!

Denis
A truck like that would cost more than one of the houses I own cost me.:D
Seriously though...............my car weighs 3300 and the trailer is just under 2000.....we will call the total weight 5300. I towed the car and trailer with a truck that has a maximum towing capacity of just over 7500. At times it was a little scary.........especially at highway speeds, low speed driving through town was fine. So, my little truck has a maximum towing capacity of 5700, which is 400 higher than what the car and trailer combo weighs. But, knowing how the bigger truck with nearly 2000 more in towing capacity handled with the car/trailer there is no way I would ever attempt to tow it with that smaller truck.
Maximum capacity is just that....the maximum. It doesnt mean that it will tow great at that weight. Just be careful.
Really, in my towing experience with boats, cars, campers...........its best to have a truck thats rated to tow at least 2000 morethan the total weight of what you will actually be towing.

·
Premium Member
3,758 Posts
I agree! I have the big truck to tow our 32' 5er. The trailer has a 12K GVW, and the truck tows it great. I know what you mean, had a 59 chevy 1/2 ton years ago and that thing got all bent outta shape while towing my 56 Chevy drag car on my car trailer. That was real scary. Most of the time it was Ok, but heven forbid going down hill and/or trying to stop fast.:eek: :eek: :eek:

·
Premium Member
3,758 Posts
72VenturaII said:
Sounds like you didn't have trailer brakes. Let that be a lesson for all:D
Oh I had trailer brakes, it was a nice Dacco trailer, just the a$$ end of the truck was very light!:eek:

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
I have towed with alot of stuff over the years. Avoided several serious crashes, because I had all the wrong set ups, for reasons unknown to me. I can say if you install the proper equipment you can easily and safely tow about anything your vechicle can pull. For 4 yrs I towed an open trailer with a 3200 Lb 70 Nova on it with a 1989 two door S-15 GMC Jimmy 4X4 with a 4.3 engine. The car and trailer weighed more than the truck but it would stop and steer with no problems. I towed on Interstates with the A/C on in 100 degrees at 60 to 65 MPH through Atlanta traffic. The ticket is the correct weight equalizer hitch and anti sway devices and 4 wheel brakes on the trailer. You can't tow stuff and be cheap about it unless you get a one ton truck which can cover up alot of errors. I sold my dually and motorhome and today I tow a 7500 lb enclosed trailer with a 2000 Z71 half ton truck with no problems. Been to Ohio through the mountains 3 times and never once was concerned, but it too has all the right stuff on it. JMHO, RM

·
Registered
475 Posts
Real McCoy said:
I have towed with alot of stuff over the years. Avoided several serious crashes, because I had all the wrong set ups, for reasons unknown to me. I can say if you install the proper equipment you can easily and safely tow about anything your vechicle can pull. For 4 yrs I towed an open trailer with a 3200 Lb 70 Nova on it with a 1989 two door S-15 GMC Jimmy 4X4 with a 4.3 engine. The car and trailer weighed more than the truck but it would stop and steer with no problems. I towed on Interstates with the A/C on in 100 degrees at 60 to 65 MPH through Atlanta traffic. The ticket is the correct weight equalizer hitch and anti sway devices and 4 wheel brakes on the trailer. You can't tow stuff and be cheap about it unless you get a one ton truck which can cover up alot of errors. I sold my dually and motorhome and today I tow a 7500 lb enclosed trailer with a 2000 Z71 half ton truck with no problems. Been to Ohio through the mountains 3 times and never once was concerned, but it too has all the right stuff on it. JMHO, RM
I agree...........I just wanted to make the point that you cant just hook a trailer up to a truck at max towing capacity and expect all to be well.

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
It's always amazes me that people will put thousands of dollars into a beautiful car then tow in on a trailer I would be afraid to tow my riding mower with........LOL. I swear to God I see it almost every week. I saw a guy towing a decent Mustang drag car last Sat on a trailer made of 2 inch pipe and what looked like old American motors front bolt on spindles. The tires were tipped in at the top, no fenders and the frame rails of pipe were arched about 6 inches front to rear. He was towing it with a new Ford F350 diesel. :shh:

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ive abandened the hitch idea and am using a borrowed truck and trailer to get the car home. Thanks for the input fellas.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Real McCoy said:
It's always amazes me that people will put thousands of dollars into a beautiful car then tow in on a trailer I would be afraid to tow my riding mower with........LOL. I swear to God I see it almost every week. I saw a guy towing a decent Mustang drag car last Sat on a trailer made of 2 inch pipe and what looked like old American motors front bolt on spindles. The tires were tipped in at the top, no fenders and the frame rails of pipe were arched about 6 inches front to rear. He was towing it with a new Ford F350 diesel. :shh:
LOL.......some people are flat out crazy.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Some people just gotta make due with what they can. May seem like idiots to some but Im not passing judgement.

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
I understand people people making due with what they have, I do it often myself. But if you can afford a great specialty car and a new truck then why use a trailer that is complete junk and risk wrecking them with it? You can buy a safe, used, open trailer around here for less than a thousand bucks easy. RM

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
Towing

As professional driver,I constantly see crashs invoving towed trailers.
In almost all cases,these crashs were caused by "inadequate" towing equipment that failed or failure of driver to control vehilce that hadn't been properly prepared for towing.
Don't get cheap here!
Mike-honk honk of the airhorn to ya.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts