Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey just putting my novas control arms back together and my repair Manuel does not have the torque specs for the lower ball joints. anyone know what it is supposed to be 1970 third gen.

·
Premium Member
4,176 Posts
Pull on it tell you fart!! That what I do:no::no: Never seen a torque spec on them. I get them good and snug and then give it a little more until I can get the pin in.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oh boy now i got a situation. My boss looked it up in a childress manuel. said 10-12. You want me to pull on it till i fart which is prob about mmmmm 90 ft ibs. that's a bit of a dilemma:confused:

·
Premium Member
4,176 Posts
HEHEHEHAHAHAHEEHE. Boy your pull is a little more that mine. But 10-12 sounds a little light to me. But if that is what it says then that what I would do. Sorry for the bad joke.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
na i got a good laugh out of it. haha i dont know what i could pull. most i have had to do recently is main caps on the crank.

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
Yeah, I also put the grunt to them, big time, I want to make sure they are seated. Then I look to hopefully find a hole for the cotter pin just loose of that. Place the pin and Im done. Im usually within sight of the hole just a smidge back on the nut. But Ill be honest. I think its a crappy system. WHAT? Only two holes, and you have to put the nut in one of those positions? So you dont have any real seating position. Back off or go forward (over torquing). I personally dont like the castle nut system. JMO JR

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i ended up tightening them as much as i could. worked out for me. i had my springs all nice and painted but that was a waste as i had to beat on them to get them in right

1 - 7 of 7 Posts