Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to settle on an engine choice.

I've been leaning towards an LS376/525 for a few reasons. It's brand new. It's under warranty. It hauls azz.

Cost for the configuration including drive system and computer will be around $10,000.

I just got offered the following for less than $10,000....

Lingenfelter 403 LS2 with 1000 miles on it. It came out of a crashed C6 'Vette.

Lingenfelter claims that the engine will dyno 525hp/525tq at the crank.

A few other goodies:

- Callies 4.000" stroke forged steel crankshaft
- JE 4.005" forged aluminum pistons
- Manley 6.125" fully machined 4340 forged steel I-Beam connecting rods
- Computer balanced and blueprinted
- Lingenfelter CNC ported & polished LS2 cylinder heads
- 2.055" / 1.57" one piece stainless steel intake & exhaust valves
- Three angle valve job, hand blending of valve seats
- CC chambers, surface, set spring heights and assembly
- Competition Cams dual valve springs, titanium retainers, 10 degree locks, valve seals and HD pushrods
- Lingenfelter designed Competition Cams hydraulic roller camshaft
- High volume oil pump assembly(I'll switch this out to the LS7 pump and dry sump pan)
- Ported & polished throttle body
- 160 degree thermostat
- Modified 90mm LS6 composite intake manifold(I'll switch this out with the aluminum intake I have)
- Properly sized fuel injectors
- ECM and Factory Harness
- All belt driven accessories like A/C Compressor, Power Steering Pump, Alternator
- Starter
- MAF sensor and plumbing to MAF

Should I take it or stay with my original idea?

John

·
14,584 Posts
The Lingenfelter engine doesn't sound too bad. I think I would want some kind of guarantee with it if possible. It seems to have a lot of the extra stuff already. The little stuff is as you know usually the hardest to find.

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
I would give a vote to Lingenfelter they have a pretty stout reputation from what I know of! It would be nice to get some kind of warranty for peace of mind though.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
John spend a few bucks and put the Lingenfelter motor on a dyno to see for yourself if it really is what they say it is. RICK

·
Registered
5,310 Posts
I would go with the brand new engine with the warranty. I would be leery of the LS2 out of the crashed 06 vet.

Just my :2cents:

:ragtop:

·
Premium Member
4,578 Posts
Man, I don't know. The ONLY thing I don't like about crate engines is they don't have that old school musclecar camshaft lope. Maybe some of them do nowadays, I don't know. But your car is really (to me anyways) a sweet blend of musclecar and new tech, so maybe a cam lope wouldn't matter.

You should get pics of the crashed vette, and somehow make sure the block isn't damaged. It's different paying $3000 for a dropout with trans and computer vs paying $10,000 for just an engine. That's a lot of dime for something that MIGHT have a problem.

I guess for your particular build, I'd go crate.

·
Premium Member
4,578 Posts
Forget that. Go with the 2014 C7 Vette LT1. Cool video of it in the BS section right now. :yes: Your car is cutting edge on everything else, why not do it under the hood as well?

·
Registered
228 Posts
IMO I would do the crate deal. Your getting the same power plus a warranty. Yeah having a lingenfelter under the hood would be nice but so would having a warranty too. Now if it had several more hundred horsepower then that would be a different story to consider.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
the LS376 makes 525hp and 490 torque, the L-felter makes 525/525 and has way more goodies inside it for more power down the road. I'd have to go with the L-felter. But that also dependson the car damage, hard rearend hit?

·
Registered
397 Posts
That Lingenfelter motor will be a much better way to go. The 525/525 at the motor number must be underrated, because it should make more than that. There are cam-head LS3s making over 500hp at the wheels.

As far as getting that old-school lope from these motors, no problem - just swap a cam if the sound is not to your liking. A 402 can take a lot more cam than a 376.

·
Registered
187 Posts
From the looks of your build money is no object,so with that being said go with a MAST MOTORSPORTS LSX!!! 720 @ the crank.Or just flip a coin,both of those motors are top notch...

·
Premium Member
11,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the replies so far.

I agree that buying the used motor has it's own issues versus the crate motor. I'm guessing I can probably pick up the Lingenfelter for around $8000. The fact that it came out of a crashed vehicle is definitely a concern for me. I don't want to have to go through what Bill(Klean63) did when he bought his drop out. I guess I could have it dynoed to see what it can do along with making sure everything is in order. Maybe instead of haggling with the owner I could ask him to have it dynoed so that I can see it working as it should and also get the actual numbers it can run. The biggest appeal for me to this motor is the fact that it is already setup for any force induction with it's forged internals. Parts used ar all of high quality and having had Lingenfelter as the builder also is comforting.

Just to throw another wrench into the mix, I also have a raw LS3 block and L92 heads. I'm going to go talk to an engine builder and see what it would cost me to build the motor with the parts I already have and compare.

What's the new LT1 going for?

John

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
That info is not yet available as far as I'm aware. I'd guess it'll wind up being at least as expensive as today's LS3 crate engines. Probably more due to all the new items required for the direct injection and cylinder deactivation.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Thanks for the replies so far.

I agree that buying the used motor has it's own issues versus the crate motor. I'm guessing I can probably pick up the Lingenfelter for around $8000. The fact that it came out of a crashed vehicle is definitely a concern for me. I don't want to have to go through what Bill(Klean63) did when he bought his drop out. I guess I could have it dynoed to see what it can do along with making sure everything is in order. Maybe instead of haggling with the owner I could ask him to have it dynoed so that I can see it working as it should and also get the actual numbers it can run. The biggest appeal for me to this motor is the fact that it is already setup for any force induction with it's forged internals. Parts used ar all of high quality and having had Lingenfelter as the builder also is comforting.

Just to throw another wrench into the mix, I also have a raw LS3 block and L92 heads. I'm going to go talk to an engine builder and see what it would cost me to build the motor with the parts I already have and compare.

John
A couple of things to think about here:

1. The LS376 crate is a nice option 525 BHP, but you will want more power. Now you are talking about the cost of a cam, springs kit, head bolts, crank Bolt, pushrods, replace the sometimes LS3 defective timing chain tensioner(replace with a LS2 style).

2. The Lingenfelter 403. Most 402's-403's make 500 to the rear wheels easy, so if this one is making 525 BHP. Either I am missing something or something is wrong with the engine. Plus you will always know in the back of your mind that it was wrecked and you paid $8 grand for it. As someone else stated, if it was a $3000 or less budget deal, maybe, but that is high. For $8000 you can get a new 370, 402,416 longblock forged, from Texas Speed, HKE, or another reputable builder for less or close to $8000 and you will know what is inside 100%. HKE and Texas Speed also sells 402 and 416 shortblocks for around $4500.

3. Or build the LS3 you have, stroke it if you want, and you will have the piece of mind of knowing what you put in it. If you built a 416 the forged rotating assembly should ballpark around $1800-$2200(depending on who you purchase it from) plus the machine work with shortblock assembly should ballpark around $3500-4000 or less. You could build something that should produce at a minimum 475-500 rwhp= 580-620BHP ballpark. Then your problem will be if the drivetrain is strong enough to contain the the power and torque.

4. Muscle car sound? well I can tell you first hand, nothing I have built did not have that classic chop. It just depends on how you build it and how well you can tune it especially if going EFI( different story with a carb) with the amount of overlap. Hell you could just lower the idle on a stock one and get some chop...LOL

The questions are how much money do you want to spend and how much power do you want to make?
Do you want to spend $8000 for 525 BHP?
Or do you want to spend $8000 for 500+ RWHP?

·
Registered
482 Posts
If this motor is going into your nova. My vote is neither. If it were me. It would have to have a supercharger or twin turbo set up. That car is too cutting edge to put a N/A motor in. Crate LSA motors are around 12k, even less if you can get the hook up. I know you know people. So basicially what I'm saying is you need a WOW factor when you pop that hood and a regular motor isn't gonna cut it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts