Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 95 S-10 pick up truck 4x4 with front torsion bars and i need to know if i can adjust the front torsion bars so that it raises the front about an 1" ... is that possible? if so how would i go about doing it? also autozone has Gabreil front shocks for $17 each, are they any good? anyone use them before? thanks for any help

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
must be a 4x4?? because the 2 wheel drives sure don't have torsion bars:no: but I'm sure you can raise and lower the truck a little by adjusting the bars. Just like on a Mopar I'd think

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
must be a 4x4?? because the 2 wheel drives sure don't have torsion bars:no: but I'm sure you can raise and lower the truck a little by adjusting the bars. Just like on a Mopar I'd think
yes its a 4x4. how do i adjust the bars? i have no experience with torsion bars...

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
My Dakota has torsion bars, you just turn the nut on the end and one direction cranks em up and one cranks em down. It severely stiffens the suspension ride though, but on a Dakota you can get about 2" out of it.

·
Registered
535 Posts
their is an adjustment bolt at the back of the torsion bar. crank it in and it will raise the car. keep in mind when you crank it up, it will severly stiffen the front suspension, so dont crank it up all the way. also, be very carefull, sometimes the bolts seize. i had one bolt snap on me before, which shot the top of it into the cab of the truck, through the floorboard.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
their is an adjustment bolt at the back of the torsion bar. crank it in and it will raise the car. keep in mind when you crank it up, it will severly stiffen the front suspension, so dont crank it up all the way. also, be very carefull, sometimes the bolts seize. i had one bolt snap on me before, which shot the top of it into the cab of the truck, through the floorboard.
if i crank the bolt just enough to raise it 1" will it make it really stiff? the truck is bottoming out now when you go over bumps and the shocks are also a little worn out to and bounces alittle. how much should i turn the bolt? also is there 1 bolt for each torsion bar? and should the bolts be turned the same amount to equally raise the truck? thanks much

·
Registered
535 Posts
if i crank the bolt just enough to raise it 1" will it make it really stiff? the truck is bottoming out now when you go over bumps and the shocks are also a little worn out to and bounces alittle. how much should i turn the bolt? also is there 1 bolt for each torsion bar? and should the bolts be turned the same amount to equally raise the truck? thanks much
one inch should be fine. try and see. you wont hurt anything.

their is one bolt per torsion bar. and yea they are BIG bolts. lift the truck up and take the weight off the wheels. will make it easier to crank up the bolts. a little anti sieze helps too.

you should have to turn them the same amount, but its more of an adjustment thing. sometimes you might have to crank one a little more then the other

1 - 7 of 7 Posts