Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you really have to torque down every bolt on the engine? like the intake manifold to a specific ft lb? or is it ok to just tighten down the bolts.

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
it's good idea.

Is it done by most (NO) maybe 1% outside of production engines.

If you assemble engines often and have a good feel for this in regards to bolt tension and gaskets sealing I say probably not.
To someone who rarely assemble engines , I say yes.

It never hurts anything to be precision.

Note: When installing aftermarket parts, the torque specs do change and using factory assembly specs could cause problems.

Fastener's related to the head, or crankshaft specs should be followed to the letter.

IMHO
AL

·
Registered
598 Posts
Cylinder heads, rod bolts, mains and oil pump I torque. The rest I tighten by hand. I guess it depends on how much mechanical experience one has. About as important, use proper tightening patterns on heads and intake.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well im asking because I was watching a video of a guy rebuild a 350 v8 small block. And he used the torque for like every thing and I only took off my intake and put it back on tightening only by hand and in his vid he used the torque. But I should be fine?

·
Premium Member
4,125 Posts
You should torque your intake and you should follow the proper sequence to avoid warpage and potential vacuum leaks down the road.

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
Well im asking because I was watching a video of a guy rebuild a 350 v8 small block. And he used the torque for like every thing and I only took off my intake and put it back on tightening only by hand and in his vid he used the torque. But I should be fine?
You might be fine.

I use a torque wrench on just about anything with a specification. Not stuff like spark plugs or exhaust bolts though. On an intake too little will get you poor sealing and too much can crack the manifold (if it's aluminum). You can go to Advance or Autozone and borrow a torque wrench for free to check it. Certain parts like heads and intakes have torque sequences, too. An even application of torque is a small extra step that can go a long way.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts