Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much torque do you put on intake bolts for an aluminum intake to cast heads? And does it sound reasonable (if not torqued right) to be getting oil on the valve covers and top of intake from a bad intake seal?

·
Premium Member
3,257 Posts
If this is a small block and you did not put sealer on the center intake bolts on each side you probably are getting oil on the intake and valve covers. The bolts thread into the lifter area and can leak if not sealed and torqued correctly.

·
Registered
362 Posts
What sounds more reasonable is that oil is leaking by the top of the valve covers. There is not much oil on the bottom side of the intake (compared to the valve covers). Although the lifters could sling it up there, I would doubt it is happening. If the valve cover gasket at the top is leaking (usually being to tight) it would allow oil past. Oil comes through the pushrods with a little pressure, will squirt on the top of the valve covers and run down.

·
Premium Member
3,257 Posts
nova10sec said:
What sounds more reasonable is that oil is leaking by the top of the valve covers. There is not much oil on the bottom side of the intake (compared to the valve covers). Although the lifters could sling it up there, I would doubt it is happening. If the valve cover gasket at the top is leaking (usually being to tight) it would allow oil past. Oil comes through the pushrods with a little pressure, will squirt on the top of the valve covers and run down.

You may be correct but I know from experience that oil can leak from the center intake manifold bolts if they don't have sealer on the threads.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll try the bolts on the intake first...only because I already replaced the valve cover gasket(thats what I thought) and torqued them by the book. I think it was 55in/lb. If it coming through the intake bolts I'm guessing it is in the front, the oil starts there and goes back which could just be the fan. Thanks guys!!

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
I got a little puddle of oil at the middle intake bolt as wskaiser explained. I know it came from there because there was no trace of oil over the lip of the intake at the valve cover.

I just removed that bolt and cleaned it up, then slapped a little bit of sealer around the threads and then retorqued all of the intake bolts to about 20 ft-lb, tightening from the centre outward. It seems to have stopped now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts