Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm looking into getting a new converter later this year or early next spring and was hoping to get some input on what companies are good and what I should be looking for.

I've heard good things about Coan, ATI, and Edge. What are you guys running and how do you like it?

My car is 95% street, 5% strip. Currently running a stock 11" converter (stalls around 2000 rpm). I think the car could benefit from a better quality converter that stalls higher but doesn't slip much at cruise on the street.

I have a 383 stroker, Etec 170 heads, 234/238 duration @.050" w/ .539" lift cam, 112 LSA, TH350 trans, 3.73 posi, M/T ET Street Radials on back, 27" tall tire, car weighs around 3400 lbs with me in it.

My best 1/4 time is a 12.6 @ 111 mph w/ a 2.0 60 ft time. The car does not feel very impressive out of the hole, no hesitations or bogging, just doesnt seem to bolt out of the hole like it should. I'm happy with how it runs overall, just think it might benefit from a better quality converter now that I've redone the top end of the motor.

My buddy is pushing me towards ATI since he has had good luck with them, says to get a custom built converter made for my car. Just wondering what your guys' thoughts are.

Thanks!

·
Registered
192 Posts
The best luck I've had has been with ACC. The Alabama converter company. They took all of my car and engine information and just like you, 90% on the street, built a converter for me. I thought great, custom build equals custom price tag. Wrong. I got a tight 22-2600 rpm unit and in my car stalls at 2400 and it cost me $213.92 plus delivery. The converters they produce are call "Boss Hog" and my recommendation would be to call them direct. If they end up making you one great, if they recommend an off the shelf unit, you can get them from Summit.

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
I run TCI super street fighter 10' 3600 stall with balloon plate if want to run nos with 383 523hp
I ran that converter in my last 71 with a 406. I like that converter for an off the shelf unit. A 3000 to 3600 would be a good converter for the 383. I have a 4100 (Redneck - out of business now) built for my 383.

·
Registered
8,013 Posts
Get yourself a Hughes Performance convertor, about a 2800-3000 stall. You will also pick up a fair amount at the track too.

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the recommendations guys!

Would an off the shelf converter work well or do you think a custom built unit for my car would be better? It sounds like all of the vendors mentioned above provide both.

I agree, I think a 3500 stall speed would be much better in my car than the current 2000 stall speed I have. The car seems to run great, just needs to reach the powerband quicker out of the hole.

If I could get down to a 1.7 or 1.8 60 ft time from my current 2.0 that would be at least .2 to .3 tenths off my current E.T. I would imagine. I think with the right converter the car is capable of very low 12's with the current setup.

BTW, for some reason I cant view all the comments made in this thread depending on where I access this thread from. If I search for it I can see your comments, if I access it through my User CP it just shows my initial post, like it hasn't updated. Not sure what thats all about, must be internet gremlins. :)

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
Thanks for the recommendations guys!

Would an off the shelf converter work well or do you think a custom built unit for my car would be better? It sounds like all of the vendors mentioned above provide both.

I agree, I think a 3500 stall speed would be much better in my car than the current 2000 stall speed I have. The car seems to run great, just needs to reach the powerband quicker out of the hole.

If I could get down to a 1.7 or 1.8 60 ft time from my current 2.0 that would be at least .2 to .3 tenths off my current E.T. I would imagine. I think with the right converter the car is capable of very low 12's with the current setup.

BTW, for some reason I cant view all the comments made in this thread depending on where I access this thread from. If I search for it I can see your comments, if I access it through my User CP it just shows my initial post, like it hasn't updated. Not sure what thats all about, must be internet gremlins. :)
For you a Hughes(as mentioned) or the TCI in your choice of 3000-3500. I have ran both the 3000 and the 3500 in my last 71 running 11.60s with the 3500 stall and it was my daily driver like you - 95% street and 5% strip duty.

As far as your thread searching, I just save any thread I am interested in or reply to in my favorites. I have a folder with my name in my favorites, but I don't save it there, I just save it to my favorites so I can find it quick. Later I delete it when it isn't needed.

·
Registered
8,013 Posts

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
Wouldn't even waste my time with a 2500 stall myself.:no

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
3500 stall in my car which is more street then anything i love it rides great with it? just my opinion
Same with my old 71, couldn't even tell it was there until I needed it.:D

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
Years ago we use to buy a brand new Vega 4 banger converter for about $25. and they would stall about 2800 from idle to WOT and were a great cheap bolt in. However they were easy to break as you picked the a stock engines power level. My experience has been the cheaper the converter the weaker they are. Lots of 2800 stall converters but to me you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Love my ATI converter made for my combo. Feels tighter than my B&M 3000 in the other car when driving normal but will flash 4200 when wanted and it hammers the tires when it hits. By far my favorite convertor I've owned.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts