Chevy Nova Forum banner
41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Let us know what the TC guy says, if anything. Hoping for the best outcome that the converter is wrong and the solution is just a new converter from him. Fingers crossed!! :cool:

~Andy
You got the wrong converter. Put the 383 flywheel back on as it is balanced for that motor. (A wrong flywheel will eat the main bearings out of your motor) Get the correct converter, pads are too thick.
with a th350 you click once then giggle until the converter notches lock into the pump 2 clicks.
you should have only 2 Sets of splines for The input shaft
If you have 3 sets it’s a 700 r 4
WRONG CONVERTER
With the correct converter you should have tons of room to spin freely
If it doesn’t turn free you will break your pump gears and get the joy of pulling it back out and a full rebuild

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thank you so much for this. Yes, bell housing surfaces facing out towards transmission.

my measurement is 1 2/16.

from what I’m seeing is the input shaft is bottoming out on the front billet hub of the converter. I put grease in the pump tabs and they are only engaging about 1/8th. This is with the converter directly against the flywheel with no play. My converter guy told me to run a 1/8 trans to engine spacer, but that will disengage the pump.

i measure the depth of the converter and it’s 2 8ths shy of 6 inches. My factory converter is 6 inches. Seems the converter is not deep enough. The converter builder is saying the input shaft is sticking out too far. My trans rebuilder is closed for the weekend.

Not sure what to do or where to start.
Get a good TCI converter

·
Registered
39 Posts
Sorry to sound so “ old school” but, when did AT clearances get so complicated!? I’ve rebuilt a few over ther years and found them to be the most flexible on ”allowable” clearances that if a reputable shop can’t meet tolerances then I’d be Leary of the overall quality of the build!
good luck!

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Sorry to sound so “ old school” but, when did AT clearances get so complicated!? I’ve rebuilt a few over ther years and found them to be the most flexible on ”allowable” clearances that if a reputable shop can’t meet tolerances then I’d be Leary of the overall quality of the build!
good luck!
see that’s what I’m worried about. Having blamed and sent the converter back for nothing. From what I understand, the input shaft can only go in at one specific depth.

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
see that’s what I’m worried about. Having blamed and sent the converter back for nothing. From what I understand, the input shaft can only go in at one specific depth.
Only worry about things when you know de facto there's something to worry about. Be scientific about this and all will be revealed. Let the converter guy figure out whether the converter is at fault first. The new converter is the only new part of your transmission's equation so... figuring all else worked and works with the stock converter and your transmission prior to this issue, it would be a safe hypothesis (to make the conclusion) to start at the new converter being the culprit...

Just my scientific mind at work. Empiricism is the way to reality and happiness... Regardless the outcome.

~Andy

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Only worry about things when you know de facto there's something to worry about. Be scientific about this and all will be revealed. Let the converter guy figure out whether the converter is at fault first. The new converter is the only new part of your transmission's equation so... figuring all else worked and works with the stock converter and your transmission prior to this issue, it would be a safe hypothesis (to make the conclusion) to start at the new converter being the culprit...

Just my scientific mind at work. Empiricism is the way to reality and happiness... Regardless the outcome.

~Andy
good point. Thank you.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts