Chevy Nova Forum banner

torque converter recommendations

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  1977Chad350 
#1 ·
Hi, Im looking for a torque converter recommendations for my build. Also the car will most likley be a weekend worrior/ strip once in awhile. But I do plan to drive it to work from time to time. What would be best lock up or non lock up also what size and brand. Im looking for something around 200-350$ range

1978 nova 2dr full interior bucket seats

Gen vi 454
Pistons: Flat tops
Heads: bbc e-streets 100cc w/ port match 2.19/1.88 ferrea 6000 valves
ultra pro comp roller rockers 1.7
Cam: lunati 299/304 Hydraulic roller

Advertised Duration (Int/Exh): 299/304
Duration @ .050 (Int/Exh): 240/245
Gross Valve Lift (Int/Exh): .612/.612
LSA/ICL: 112/110
Valve Lash (Int/Exh): Hyd/Hyd
RPM Range: 2800-6200

Lifters: howards hyd roller lifters
intake: weiand oval stealth
carb: 770 street advenger
Exhaust: Hooker comp long tube heads

Transmission: th350 maybe a 400 later I have one sitting in the shop.
Rearend: 10 bolt 8.5 gears unknown right now. im thinking of installing 3.73 or 4.11
rear tires:275/60r15

See less See more
#2 ·
First of all the bucket seats has nothing to do with what converter to choose.
LOL. Just being sarcastic.
As far as the converter you will need to combine that with your camshaft and not necessarily the gears itself if I am correct. Gears ratio of 3.73 I think are bit to rough for the street and the TH350 but I could be wrong. That was the size of gears I was planning on installing but my tranny guy told me not to do so.
I would stick to a 2600-3000 stall converter since you seem to be uncertain of gears and tranny

#3 ·
I was just letting the guru's know my car had bucket seats to help with figuring the weight of the car. The transmission im running is th350, but later on maybe 6 months to 5 years. just when the th350 blows up I will replace it with the th400. I dont plan on driving the car on the interstate just 45-55mph hwy for a few miles and then cruise around town. I do plan to replace the gears when I put a stall converter in it. I was thinking huges 3000 pro street stall, but I just dont know for sure. I just dont want to buy one and then have to buy another one because I didnt get it right the first time. I do want the car to be at its best when I do take it to the track. the nova will be on a trailer when it goes to the track as its about 30 miles out of town.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.