Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I have a question about my current torque converter. I believe it is a Jegs $98 special 2000-2300 stall. It was in the car when I bought it. I put a small cam, Lunat voodoo 256, that keeps it mild since my wife drives the car a bit, and Brodix IK180 heads, since it had the stock 350 smog heads on it. The gears are 3.36 stock with a posi both new. Everything is running great, but I would figure I should be able to fry the tires off this with short 225-60r15 tires. I get a little chirp off the line, it hooks and takes off. I am not complaining it's great, but the converter "feels" stock. I am wondering if the converter is not optimized for this set up. Do you think I am leaving much on the table with the budget converter. I read the reviews on the converter and most were positive.

Any feedback as always is appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
Mike - 74 Nova Baltimore, MD
1,658 Posts
I also agree that the converter sounds about right. Based on the mods listed, you should have a pretty healthy 350 sbc that is capable of frying a set of size 225 tires. I would be looking at the engine tune.

What type of distributor are you running?

Do you know what your initial timing is set to (at idle with the vacuum advance disconnected)?

When the distributor's vacuum advance canister is connected to a vacuum source, is it a timed vacuum port (little to no vacuum at idle)?... or a full time/manifold vacuum source (good vacuum at idle)?

Another possibility...
Are you 100% sure that you lined up the crank gear and cam gear timing marks (at #1 TDC) and checked them prior to AND after installing your timing chain?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Timing marks fairly certain they are spot on. I degreed the cam. I am running a petronix flame thrower III, if I recall I am at about 20 degrees initial, 37 all in, then the can on top, hooked up to manifold vacuum. The car runs great, fairly certain the carb is close to dialed, wide band might get me a little closer, but I'm really close.

Not sure if this may effect it, I have the church boys springs and Viking shocks in the back. Maybe it is just hooking up better than I would expect.

Thanks for the feedback.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts