Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just got finished installing a 10 inch torque converter and I think it is to much for my little motor. When i smash the throotle in high gear, the rpm will jump right to about 4100. If I accelerate and shift from first to second at WOT, the rpm will only drop from 5700 to 4400 (should be dropping to about 3500). Also from a stop, I have to rev it to about 2000-2500 rpm (high. considering) to get it moving at a good pace. I have checked and triple check my fluids and they are right on. Maybe it is just very loose or ineffecient, Im not sure. I just know it is a bit much for me and would rather have something that stalls around 3000-3200 rpm so I may have to get it rebuilt.

On a side note, the cooler works well and the temp never got over 180 in all of my abuse.

Any ideas or advice?
-Dan

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Whose converter is it
Honestly, I do not know. I bought it used from a good member on this sight and he couldn't remember the name brand. I do know it seems to be a high quality piece with anti-ballooning plates and all that stuff.

·
Premium Member
2,781 Posts
Hmmm

I have a 10" Coan 4000 stall and it doesnt act like that at all...

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I have a 10" Coan 4000 stall and it doesnt act like that at all...
Yeah, i am a bit confused as to why its acting this way. It just seems very loose and that may be how it is just setup. Im going to give "dynamic converts" a call tomorrow and see how much a rebuild will run. Maybe they can setup this one the way i like, if not, ill just buy one of the 10" street or race converters they have. Seem like nice pieces and I will not be running nitrous. They have 9.5" converter on there that they suggested to me last year but $600 is a bit over my budget. I dont want to spend more then $400.

Ill post a video tomorrow to show exactly what Im talking about.
Thanks
-dan

·
Registered
162 Posts
Give BTE racing a call....they have a 9.5" convertor for around 400.00 I run one in my nova and love it

·
Registered
508 Posts
It sounds like it is a high stall converter. If you stab it and it jumps to 45-4700 rpm then it is at least that. Normaly a looser converter is used for nitrous/blower apps so going with a smaller one is prob. The way to go. Also the finns in the converter can begin to flaten out cause it to have more slipage than it began with. Good luck and hope you get it figure out.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It sounds like it is a high stall converter. If you stab it and it jumps to 45-4700 rpm then it is at least that. Normaly a looser converter is used for nitrous/blower apps so going with a smaller one is prob. The way to go. Also the finns in the converter can begin to flaten out cause it to have more slipage than it began with. Good luck and hope you get it figure out.
Yeah, I have already decided i can not live with this lol. Its fun when you hit the throttle but not fun cruising around. I wanted to go with Dynamic because they are a 15 minute drive away. If they can use this converter and save me a little money ill go with them. :rolleyes:.

-Dan

·
Premium Member
2,354 Posts
Whenever you buy a convertor, get one from the manufacturer so you know it will be for your application. That is the brain of your combination. I use COAN personally. If you call there, ask for Art. A tighter one is used for blown or NOS applications, not looser. If you use a loose convertor with the power adders it will stall way too high and you'll run out of engine. On my dragster I had one custom made and I bought two Coans off ebay for my Nova. I called him with the numbers before I bid and was told they would work with my combo. Dave

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Sounds like you need to buy the converter I just pulled out of my car. It is a 10" converter that stalls around 3000 behind my high compression brodix headed 383. It was way to small for my engine and super tight. I had to idle my car at 1500 because when I put it in gear it would slam down to 1000. I had ATI custom build me a 8" 4800 stall converter. They recommended a 5500 but said since I drive on the street a 4800 would be more suited but still launch at the track hard.

The 10" I have has about 300 miles on it over the last 8 years. If you or anybody else wants it I will let it go for $150 plus shipping (your in maryland so you could come pick it up from me if you want. I live in germantown in montgomery county). I had it custom built for a mild 355 that used to be in my car and it worked perfect for that engine. Drives great on the street due to it being a tight converter.

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
stall

a converter shouldn't stall like that unless its up against a brake or flashed. If it wuz me , i'd call the manufacture , you might even have a pump problem

I had a TCI 10 " street fighter II that liked alot too ,, it would flash for about 5000 then come down to 3800 or so , usually had .06-.08 reaction times with it pretty consistant. I put a 8 inch 5500 in it after ,, but i still had fun with the TCI

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
I have found that if a converter works good in one car doesn't necessarily work in another car. It's always best to get one new or at least have the used one cut open and redone to your specs.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I actually just got off of the phone with Dynamic and they are building me one this week. Might have it done by the weekend. I talked to Shawn and he suggested one of the street/strip 9.5" they have. He said it is very efficient and much more streetable then the one I have in it now. He said the one I have in it now is probably very loose and it acts like that because that is just how it was built. The new one should stall around 3500 from a hard launch but still be great just cruising from a stop sign which is what Im looking for. It was a little more then I wanted to spend but they gave me a discount for being local and I can always take it up there if a problem occurs. It should outlast the rest of my drivetrain too and if I decide to go with a nitrous fed big block with a brake, it will handle that too :devil:.

-Dan

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What part of MD you live in? ATI is in baltimore.
I live in the north east part of MD, right in the corner of MD, PA, and DE. I thought about an ATI since they are only an hour away but their prices are way more then i want to spend lol. I know they are a great company and you get what you pay for, but I figured I would give dynamic a go. They are really nice and ask a lot of questions and seem interested when you call. If their products are as good as their customer service then I will be a happy camper.

-Dan

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I live in the north east part of MD, right in the corner of MD, PA, and DE. I thought about an ATI since they are only an hour away but their prices are way more then i want to spend lol. I know they are a great company and you get what you pay for, but I figured I would give dynamic a go. They are really nice and ask a lot of questions and seem interested when you call. If their products are as good as their customer service then I will be a happy camper.

-Dan

I think you will be happy with them. I have heard good things about dynamic. :yes:

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
I have found that if a converter works good in one car doesn't necessarily work in another car. It's always best to get one new or at least have the used one cut open and redone to your specs.
yup, what he said.....!!!!:yes::yes::yes: i have a custom one, & absolutely love it, drives like there is no stall, car moves around 1800-2200, but on the transbrake it will flash 4500..... 8 passes & the tranny didnt even go past 120 on the temp gauge, even street drivin.....

u should be very happy with that custom one..... & will probably always go w/ a custom from now on..... good luck!!!

JOHN

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
yup, what he said.....!!!!:yes::yes::yes: i have a custom one, & absolutely love it, drives like there is no stall, car moves around 1800-2200, but on the transbrake it will flash 4500..... 8 passes & the tranny didnt even go past 120 on the temp gauge, even street drivin.....

u should be very happy with that custom one..... & will probably always go w/ a custom from now on..... good luck!!!

JOHN
Haha, you are probably right. Im not sure I like the price of a custom one though. Its not real expensive, just expensive in comparison to the $290 ones on ebay that you wonder if they will work just as well. But, I feel like Im buying a warranty and reassurance it will work the way i want it to, not just a converter.

·
Premium Member
3,758 Posts
I just put in my $290 ebay special from ******* Transmissions and it seems to work just fine. It is a 4500 though. But so far it does what they said it would, I also have their trans brake. They have real good customer service.

I am sure you will be happy with you new converter. I know what you mean about the local comfort zone.:yes:

Let us know the results.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts