Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to find out what kind of luck guys have had with different converer/ transmission companies .
Running a non lock up th350

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Trying to find out what kind of luck guys have had with different converer/ transmission companies .
Running a non lock up th350
Well, I just had Art Carr build me a 2004R including a Torque Converter and it's transformed my car. I was sold after what I saw they did to bone stock components. His foreman gave me the dime tour, and I was impressed. Things like braising the fins on the TC.. so much more to make them high strength, high HP units.

check them out at California Performance Transmission in Huntington Beach CA

·
Registered
385 Posts
ProTorque builds an excellent converter. The owners of OST Dyno swear by the for their 9-second street/strip cars.
Yank is excellent and well known.
Circle D is also a staple around the race tracks.

Get one custom built for your application, however. Transmission, rear gear ratio, tire size, vehicle weight, engine torque, etc. all play a role in a properly-built unit. You might want to finish figuring out the rest of your car before you jump the gun on a converter.

·
Registered
129 Posts
My recomendation is Dice Converters.
818-850-6001. Very good builder with a great reputation on the West Coast.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I just had Art Carr build me a 2004R including a Torque Converter and it's transformed my car. I was sold after what I saw they did to bone stock components. His foreman gave me the dime tour, and I was impressed. Things like braising the fins on the TC.. so much more to make them high strength, high HP units.

check them out at California Performance Transmission in Huntington Beach CA
I've heard of them . What kind of money ?
What was your combo ?

·
Registered
955 Posts
I'm totally happy with my FTI off the shelf converter for my 700r4. I have a driver car. it makes plenty of power and I'm not racing it so the last few hp or hundredths of a second are of no concern to me. My car is well mannered, has plenty of hp, is fun to drive and actually gets pretty good mpg. I do have a lock up. As soon as my car shifts to OD it locks the converter.

·
Registered
Mike - 74 Nova Baltimore, MD
1,607 Posts
I'm currently using a 2800 stall custom lock-up Street Edge converter connected to my 2004R on my Nova. I am very happy with it's performance... both street and strip. It is manufactured by Edge Racing Converters.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I run a Freakshow converter out of Abeline TX and cant say enough about the performance, Quality and value of their converters. $350.00 to your door. Each converter is custom made for your car.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm totally happy with my FTI off the shelf converter for my 700r4. I have a driver car. it makes plenty of power and I'm not racing it so the last few hp or hundredths of a second are of no concern to me. My car is well mannered, has plenty of hp, is fun to drive and actually gets pretty good mpg. I do have a lock up. As soon as my car shifts to OD it locks the converter.
Yeah I'm all spun out reading about lock up versus non lock up . Lol. I dont know what to do

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I run a Freakshow converter out of Abeline TX and cant say enough about the performance, Quality and value of their converters. $350.00 to your door. Each converter is custom made for your car.
Custom for $350 ?? Wow that's a hell of bargain there . I'll have to check that out thanks

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks man I'll check it out
ProTorque builds an excellent converter. The owners of OST Dyno swear by the for their 9-second street/strip cars.

Get one custom built for your application, however. Transmission, rear gear ratio, tire size, vehicle weight, engine torque, etc. all play a role in a properly-built unit. You might want to finish figuring out the rest of your car before you jump the gun on a converter.

Thanks man I'll check it out

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

And yep it's all figured out now well see if it shows up as planned lol

·
Registered
955 Posts
Yeah I'm all spun out reading about lock up versus non lock up . Lol. I dont know what to do
The lock up feature just drops the rpm a little once it locks up and also helps with fuel mileage. I have a healthy .040 based 3.75 stroke small block and it still get's better than 16 mpg out cruising. Best of all worlds. Plenty of power, very well mannered and fairly economical for what it is. I actually drove my lock up converter a while before wiring it to actually lock up. I used the TCI lock up kit that works with a vacuum switch. Pretty easy to hook up and works pretty good. I also used their constant pressure valve body in my 700r4. The tv cable only adjust shift firmness and points now.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts