Chevy Nova Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a B&N automatic shift kit that only has three gears. As soon as i get to 6 grand, the engine is screaming, and im only at about 120...if i had a 4 speed in it, would i be able to go higher than that? is that the benefit of manual vs automatic? or can i install a 4 gear automatic...

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
I don't know the need to go faster. That little 307 must be dying at that rpm and you're probably breaking the law. Now if you could get it to go 120mph in the quarter then that's an accomplishment for that tiny engine. On top of all that your speedo is probably way off at that speed. Your 120 might really only be 105 for all you know. I never take the time to look at the big end of the track, but my race car does 125ish at the big end and I'm fairly certain it reads different. I know during the burnout it reads 60-80mph and I KNOW it isn't going that fast

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
I have a B&N automatic shift kit that only has three gears. As soon as i get to 6 grand, the engine is screaming, and im only at about 120...if i had a 4 speed in it, would i be able to go higher than that? is that the benefit of manual vs automatic? or can i install a 4 gear automatic...
If you want to go faster for a given rpm you need to either install taller gears (numerically lower), taller tires or install a transmission with an overdrive gear ratio.

·
Registered
152 Posts
you need noss

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
DAM, my car does 110mph @ 11.66 @ 7200 in the 1/4..... what are u tryin to accomplish...????? IMO, mph dont mean anything, like Bowtie says, how long does it take to get there.... any import will 120mph maybe even 140, but its takes them like what a mile or 2 to get there......

JOHN

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
when racing a stang or other kinds of cars, when we do a rolling start going about 30 or 40 MPH when i hit about 120MPH and then im in the red zone. im afraid ill blow my engine, and they always shoot right past me. its a B&M shift kit th350...

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
A 5.0L stang will have an OD trans, that's why they'll out run you. My IROC would do 144 mph on radar, not too many Novas can do that without a tranny swap or tall gear and gobs of torque. These cars need to really be tuned suspension wise to be hauling ant that speed, it's not a good idea to be endangering other lives on the street. We have a whole thread on crashed Novas and it's not our favorite one on the the site.

4 spd's and auto 350 th trannies are 1 to 1 final drive, other then slippage they're the same

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
what's a '4BC'?

It just doesn't seem smart to race like it sounds like you're racing.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
when racing a stang or other kinds of cars, when we do a rolling start going about 30 or 40 MPH when i hit about 120MPH and then im in the red zone. im afraid ill blow my engine, and they always shoot right past me. its a B&M shift kit th350...
Yeah bro, roll racing is sick. I live for it dude. I know what you mean about the redzone...I redline mine at 6000 too but on NOS I can rev 9k! I was afraid of blowing my engine too, but the trick is the NAWZ! You just gotta watch the fuel piston cooling rods, you wouldn't want to damage the fuel injected carburetor..

·
Premium Member
3,532 Posts
QUOTE=NOVACA1N;1096684]Yeah bro, roll racing is sick. I live for it dude. I know what you mean about the redzone...I redline mine at 6000 too but on NOS I can rev 9k! I was afraid of blowing my engine too, but the trick is the NAWZ! You just gotta watch the fuel piston cooling rods, you wouldn't want to damage the fuel injected carburetor..[/QUOTE]

Dude, you are killing me, that is damn funny!!!!:rotfl::rotfl::stir::rotfl:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.