Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't know where to put this but it for my drive train so here it is. I am looking at a new dial indicator and caliper kit. Onset are true dial and the other set has digital read outs. The dials are $60 and the digitals are $90. What do you think? I was going for the dials until I say the digitals.

I have several mics.

Thanks,
Denis

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
My verniers are digital, and my dial indicator is needle type (dial).

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
I have many of each. What I usually grab for car work is the dial face indicator (dont use it much for car work), the digital caliper and standard vernier micrometer. Although I grab the standard veiner caliper for metal rummaging as much as the digital just cause I wont mind setting it down hard while getting dirty in the metal pile.

For lathe and mill work I like the dial face indicator, quick checks with the digital caliper and detailed measurements with the standard or digital micrometer.

For bench work I like the dial face dial test indicator (dont have a digital one, do they make one? I prolly wouldnt like it) and digital micrometer, oh, and the digital height gauge on the surface plate. Oh, and I have the stereo zoom scope on a boom right next to the surface plate too for some layout stuff, my eyes arent as good as looking at a computer screen linked to the microscope. LOL

But all in all, I still like the standard vernier stuff and face dials for the garage car work. JR

1 - 3 of 3 Posts