Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been going to this body shop as of recently to shadow this guy named Nick Hernandez. He was inducted into the Low-rider hall of fame in 2006 for a life time achievement award. He has created some amazing low riders over the past 30 years... while low riders aren't my thing the skill he has is great. He estimated my car at his shop would cost 9k-10k not b/c it sucked but that is his quality.

Anyway I made friends with one of the guys who worked there. There was a miscommunication and he quit. So I am paying this guy to do my car all body work and then put into primer for 800 for labor plus about 200 for materials. If I had taken this car to Nick's shop 2 months ago this same guy would of done the work and I would of paid like 5k for this or more... but he needs money and maybe I got lucky.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I would be happy with that deal. Remember, the other guy with the reputation and the shop had to pay for the other guys workers comp & liability insurance, his overhead, materials w/markup, be able to stand behind his work and then add on for profit. Getting a former employee to do it on the side is always alot less expensive but not without risk.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Id like to get him to shoot the color also but two problems he doesnot really have a booth and i cant decide on a color to save my life

·
Registered
309 Posts
Also it can sometimes be difficult to get a shop to paint over someone else's primer shoot. I know when I had a guy do my body work and primer on the side I had some trouble finding a good shop that would stand behind their work but still be willing to shoot paint over existing work.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts