Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In addition to my 72 Nova I have a 56 Chevy. It has a Saginaw PS pump and a Unisteer rack (Saginaw). The power steering has always had way too much assist. When driving, especially at freeway speeds, a flea could turn the wheel.

I tried all of the internet solutions of shimming the pump bypass and it helped a little but not enough. I guess reducing the pumps pressure from "1200 to 800" is not the compete fix so I decided to try the more expensive solution of adding an adjustable bypass valve that actually reduces the fluid volume and not just pressure.
This works pretty well but the assist seems to be not quite enough for parking lots but still a bit too much for the highway. I'll play with it some more.

I bring this up as I'm thinking I will have the same issue on my Nova (aftermarket power R&P) if I can ever get it out of the paint shop to find out.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

·
Registered
928 Posts
In addition to my 72 Nova I have a 56 Chevy. It has a Saginaw PS pump and a Unisteer rack (Saginaw). The power steering has always had way too much assist. When driving, especially at freeway speeds, a flea could turn the wheel.

I tried all of the internet solutions of shimming the pump bypass and it helped a little but not enough. I guess reducing the pumps pressure from "1200 to 800" is not the compete fix so I decided to try the more expensive solution of adding an adjustable bypass valve that actually reduces the fluid volume and not just pressure.
This works pretty well but the assist seems to be not quite enough for parking lots but still a bit too much for the highway. I'll play with it some more.

I bring this up as I'm thinking I will have the same issue on my Nova (aftermarket power R&P) if I can ever get it out of the paint shop to find out.

Any thoughts are appreciated.
Here's what Heidts says on aligning their setup ( I imagine it has the same effect on any setup though)

The interesting thing about the caster setting is that you can experiment with different settings and
actually "tune" the characteristics of the handling of your car to your driving style. 3° of caster
will give a nice road feel and good low speed drive‐ability. 4° or 5° will yield better high speed
stability and tracking, putting a better self‐centering characteristic in the steering wheel, but
will tend to start to make parking slightly more difficult. Just be sure that both sides have equal
caster settings, or the car will tend to pull to one side.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I'm needing an alignment and more caster would certainly help but unfortunately I don't think I have any more caster to be had.
Thx for the suggestion

·
Registered
973 Posts
I think I’ve got the same problem as you. I’m running a LS ps pump with a ford r&p. The place I got my hose kit sent me the piece to lower the pressure to the rack. I don’t think it’s enough. At High speed the steering seems very twitchy!

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, many suggest the shims for the bypass in the pump. This does reduce the pressure but not enough of the flow. I'm not an engineer but I think I have that correct.
I think the Heidts flow bypass deffinately helped but not the results I hoped for.
More caster (4-5 degrees) would sure help but as said, I'm out of adjustment on the RT side.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts