Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm going to be ordering some new control arms and coil springs (maybe coilovers) so I decided to cut another coil off my old springs just for fun.

They started out as 1" lower springs. I cut one full coil off from there and it was just about perfect for drivability, no rubbing whatsoever and a nice firm ride. Tonight I cut another full coil off! So it looks totally awesome, but it won't be awesome to drive. It was sitting on the bump stops so i cut the tops off of them for a little clearance. I can barely get my low profile jack under the frame rail from the side.

Here's some pics I took in the garage. I'll pull it out tomorrow if it's dry and take some in the sunlight.

I don't plan on driving it like this. Maybe just around the block... but that's it.

·
Registered
414 Posts
it looks awesome that way. i'd leave it if it doesn't rub or bottom out. i love a stiff ride too and could care less about a smooth ride. i guess your current shocks will show. i'd bounce up and down on the bumper just to get an idea of the travel before you drive it on the street. there are also some nice hard plastic stops that go between your coils to prevent complete travel (bottoming out.) i found out how well they worked when i took mine out.

·
Registered
72 Frame off, bare metal resto-mod. 383, TH350, Eaton Posi, Complete new suspension, disk brakes
1,519 Posts
Hey Murf

Narrow up those front tires or change the setback and you've got it! I have another set of front springs you can play with.

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
looks vs functionality... you need to balance the two. if the car is too low and you contact the bump stops, this isn't good... watch for coil bind also. if coil bind occurs something has to give and you'll then find the weakest link. maybe broken ball joints, bolts or some other needed part. before you even drive it one time i'd recommend you measure the travel of the suspension and make real sure you don't have issues. city driving isn't always smooth as glass, bumps, dips and just irregularities in the road causes the car to move, if you don't have sufficient travel you'll find yourself possibly in an uncontrollable situation that results in a wreck.

low is great but too low is real bad...

how much suspension travel do you have? you can measure the car as it is now and remove the wheel, block the car at the same height and inspect the suspension, with the car Very Secure, bounce on the car to simulate the travel... sounds to me regardless of tire dimensions... you need to raise it a little. cutting a bump stop down i don't think is the answer and i think you'll find you have insufficient suspension travel...

i'd check it out prior to driving to prevent further issues...

LOOKS GOOD though... just may not work that good...

generally speaking cutting one coil usually results in a 2" drop... drop spindles are a better way to drop than cutting springs... alignment issues can result with springs... not with the spindles...

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Narrow up those front tires or change the setback and you've got it! I have another set of front springs you can play with.
Looks like I might need those if i want to drive the car anytime soon. I live in Mill Creek so you're real close.

You are correct, Flyer. 1.5" is not enough suspension travel! Plus the tires are rubbing on the inner fenders like crazy. I drove the car 1 block down the street and when i turned the wheel it was bad... I think a 2" drop spindle with a stock spring with maybe a half a coil cut off would be nice.

What drop spindles would work for my setup? I have 17x7 with 4" backspace in the front.

I took some pics outside. Looks totally sweet.. but doesn't work at all. I'm gonna get this look the right way. I was thinking of going with a 205 instead of the 215's up front. Maybe even a 195? What do you guys think?

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
i think the drop spindles and unfortunately a different backspaced wheel may be the answer... and if you want some quality a arms that will be beneficial to suspension geometry, you should talk to 67church from CBR. if you want Fasteddie's opinion, PM him too... he's using them on his 3rd genner...

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i think the drop spindles and unfortunately a different backspaced wheel may be the answer... and if you want some quality a arms that will be beneficial to suspension geometry, you should talk to 67church from CBR. if you want Fasteddie's opinion, PM him too... he's using them on his 3rd genner...

I just wish I could get the torq thrusts in 17x7 with 4.5" or 4.75" backspacing without having to pay the custom wheel pricing. But it looks like thats what i'm going to have to do. That or go with a 17x8 with 5.5".. if i'm buying new wheels might as well.

The church arms look pretty nice.. and so does the price. There are so many companies making control arms for 3rd gens these days...

Looks like the front suspension will be my winter project. I know what i'm asking santa for christmas this year!

·
Premium Member
20,542 Posts
I just wish I could get the torq thrusts in 17x7 with 4.5" or 4.75" backspacing without having to pay the custom wheel pricing. But it looks like thats what i'm going to have to do. That or go with a 17x8 with 5.5".. if i'm buying new wheels might as well.

The church arms look pretty nice.. and so does the price. There are so many companies making control arms for 3rd gens these days...

Looks like the front suspension will be my winter project. I know what i'm asking santa for christmas this year!
thats what I had to do with my 67....custom tt's up front 17 x7 with 4.5bs....I think i paid $350 each shipped...look close...your wheel and top of fender and mine are the same...no rubbing on mine

·
Banned
26,231 Posts

true, true... but most are just tubular arms with no alignment/handling benefits. plus check the quality of the ball joints used. sure you can buy cheaper arms, but they're just that... cheap-er. ;)

send Chuck a PM and talk with him... costs nothing to talk other than the cost of the call. he's in Ohio...

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thats what I had to do with my 67....custom tt's up front 17 x7 with 4.5bs....I think i paid $350 each shipped...look close...your wheel and top of fender and mine are the same...no rubbing on mine
Yeah thats how much i found them for too. What size front tire are you running?

true, true... but most are just tubular arms with no alignment/handling benefits. plus check the quality of the ball joints used. sure you can buy cheaper arms, but they're just that... cheap-er. ;)

send Chuck a PM and talk with him... costs nothing to talk other than the cost of the call. he's in Ohio...
The church arms are reasonable on cost. I think it's like $1400 for hotchkis uppers and lowers so... under a grand sounds pretty good. I'll have to talk to chuck. Everything i've heard about CBC has been positive. I like that they make parts specifically for novas. :cool:

·
Premium Member
20,542 Posts
Yeah thats how much i found them for too. What size front tire are you running?

The church arms are reasonable on cost. I think it's like $1400 for hotchkis uppers and lowers so... under a grand sounds pretty good. I'll have to talk to chuck. Everything i've heard about CBC has been positive. I like that they make parts specifically for novas. :cool:
205/50/17:yes::yes:

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Oh man, I didn't know we were throwing pics around here... :D

The suspension has settled another inch from this photo, FYI. :devil:

FYI - another trick is to use pan head bolts in place of the stock hex bolts in the wheel well. It gives you just a little more suspension travel room in there.
Those wheels are sick! You live pretty close to me too. We should organize a SNS get together. That'd be cool.

Maybe i'll go with a different wheel than the good ol' torq thrusts. But they look so damn good.... we'll see.

Thanks for the tire size batman!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts