Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got my new converter in last week, it stalls @ 4200, but I ordered it to be @ 3500... My question is, is 4200 too high for street driving. My goal was to have a decent street/strip car but I'm worried the stall might be too high. Any opinions or people that are driving their car with this high of a stall would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
so how many miles per gallon you getting?
On the Power Tour I averaged 10.5-11 mpg at 70+mph. I don't have a speedo, but I drove with a guy who had just gotten his calibrated--It wasn't a lot of fun trying to hang with him....he ran between 70 and 90 a lot, which had me averaging around 3700 rpm.
Huge compression seems to help mileage!

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
i run a 4500 on the street, tranny doesnt get over 100 degrees on the gauge, and this driving around all day. as far as mileage that is one thing i dont clock when im the drivin the Nove. if it needs fuel i swipe the card & dont look back......

LIL JOHN

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I only have to stock trans cooler, hook up. Is that sufficient or do I need to get a bigger aftermarket one. Thanks for all the info.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
I only have to stock trans cooler, hook up. Is that sufficient or do I need to get a bigger aftermarket one. Thanks for all the info.
do u have temp gauge on the trans, to even see how hot its gettin...??? once u find that out u can figure out if u need a different one or keep that one.... and by stock u mean thru the radiator...????

LIL JOHN

·
Registered
771 Posts
So I got my new converter in last week, it stalls @ 4200, but I ordered it to be @ 3500... My question is, is 4200 too high for street driving. My goal was to have a decent street/strip car but I'm worried the stall might be too high. Any opinions or people that are driving their car with this high of a stall would be appreciated. Thanks.
What are your cam specs? This will tell us if your stall is too big or not...but for street driving, its prolly right on the edge.

·
Premium Member
2,781 Posts
10" coan

Runing a 10" Coan 3800-4000 stall with no issues but did add a trany cooler in front of the radiator.

Hey guys Im curious, how or should I say why, does the convertor effect gas milage?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I think it has to do as much or more with the efficiency of the converter as it does the stall rpm with regard to street manners and subsequent heat issues. For example, I have a "lower end", loose 10 inch, 3800 stall that I threw in this spring (picked up from a buddy) and have regretted it ever since. Not because of the stall rpm but because it's not effecient and generates a lot of heat on the street. I calculated my trap rpm and slippage at 14% and I lost 3 mph in the 1/8th!

I don't doubt for a second the guys above saying they have no issues running high stall converters on the street. They obviously have efficient, well built converters.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yeah, by stock I meant through the radiator... I haven't put in a trans gauge yet, its on the way, I was just curious to see if most people put in an aftermarket cooler or not, or how well,through the radiator, (stock) worked. Thanks for all the input.

·
Registered
326 Posts
my friend has one in his 72 chevy pickup,its a 3000 stall.and his engine screams before it starts to move.he HATES it:no:.gonna drop in a 2200 to 2500 this weekend ,hopefully that will help it out some.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I agree with fasteddie,put in a good cooler. Heat is what kills the tranny and convertor. Been running a 5000+ convertors for over 20 yrs on the street and track. A loose convertor on the street is not bad at all. You get use to it and most people don't even know it...but at the track the car loves it and the 60s aren't to bad. Put a temp gauge on the tranny to keep tabs. Try it you'll like it.:yes:

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
3000 stall.and his engine screams before it starts to move.he HATES it
That's because it's a cheap piece of crap. My 6000+ will idle away from a stoplight without opening the throttle. The stall speed has nothing to do with what rpm it takes to move the car, except in the case of junk converters.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts