Chevy Nova Forum banner

TomM's 1966 Wagon, LS1 Project.....

163K views 510 replies 108 participants last post by  350ss 
#1 · (Edited)
About Jan of 2010, I picked up an extremely clean 66 original wagon. It needed the usual floorpans, but the spare tire well was there, and not rotted. The previous owner had sanded the car, so the surface rust you see, is purely cosmetic. The more I tore in to the car, the more I found out it really was a solid as I suspected, so I have a pretty good canvas to start with.... :D

Fast forward to Oct/Nov 2010. Finally got the old floor pans cut out, and the new ones fitted. It took me a while, as body work is definitely not my calling. In the meantime, I was slowly stripping the car, to get it ready for body work. I also built a rotisserie during that time. I finally got the car on the rotisserie today, and low and behold, it didn't break, and I was able to rotate the car easily.... :eek:

The plan is of course the venerable LS1 from a 2004 GTO, 4L60E, 8.2 10 bolt, 3:55 posi, and without a doubt the full Church Boy's Racing "massage"... upper and lower arms, rack and crossmember, steering arms, sway bar, 2" dropped rear leaf springs,and the CBR/Stainlessworks headers. I am also doing the LS brake swap, front and rear 12" crossdrilled and slotted rotors, using the CBR front caliper brackets.

It's going to be a slow and steady build, as I already have a running hotrod, so no need to kill mysef on this one. Here are a few pictures of the car, and progress to date....I'll be updating as I have something to add.....

T,

The wagon, as she arrived.....

As she sets today.....

And last but not least...the bullet..... :D

See less See more
#3 ·
As a fellow Wagon owner I curious as to what you have estimated that this type of build will end up costing you?
Not trying to be nosey in any way.....

#11 ·
Started a spread sheet on it, but need to update. I have estimated somewhere in the 10-15K range, that's doing the paint myself.....I tend to get scope creep, and the cost usually goes up..... :eek:

looks good buddy.. i havent seen or heard from you in a while. i need to get out to the car meet one night.
Yes you do, hasn't really been the weather for it though, I guess you can see what's been keeping me busy....

Hey Tom, Looking good can't wait to see it.
Looking at pulling the trigger on a 67 wagon also:D

You going to the GoodGuys 1st spring nationals at TMS in march?
Going to try, still have the Coupe running, so hoping so.....

Like others had said; looking forward to following this build now that you got me pumped up on the LS swap. I see the FAST fuel rails are starting to become a signature your builds :)
FAST builds good stuff. For this type of fuel system, it's the best around IMO...I just wished they offered different colors.... :D

T,

#18 ·
The plan is of course the venerable LS1 from a 2004 GTO, 4L60E, 8.2 10 bolt, 3:55 posi, and without a doubt the full Church Boy's Racing "massage"... upper and lower arms, rack and crossmember, steering arms, sway bar, 2" dropped rear leaf springs,and the CBR/Stainlessworks headers.

#26 ·
Wagon Update.....

Update...

Been busy sand blasting and painting the hard parts. Best thing I ever did buying a sand blaster.... :yes:

Got the hood hinges, front and rear bumper brackets and fender supports done...

Finally finished up the rear end, freshened up the bearings and seals, checked the runout, blasted and painted, ready for the CBR 2" dropped rear leafs. A shout out to Big Al on the clearances and dialing in the runout....yu da mang Biggun'.... :D

The LS brake swap backing plates installed, waiting on the studs and lines to finish it up...

Got the spindles blasted painted and put together. The brackets are CBR LS brake swap for 2" dropped spindles. The bearings, seals and studs are on order....

Also finished up a bunch of other parts, shock towers, shock tower covers, rear leaf spring pads, eccentrics and bolts.....didn't get pictures, pretty much the same as above. I can honestly say, the devil's in the details. It's quite a chore to clean, blast, prime and paint all these small parts, but it has to be done.

The paint I used was Krylon, green self etching primer, topped with two coats of Rustoleum satin black, the gray is duplicolor wheel paint.

Going to get busy this weekend getting the fender panels stripped to get ready for final assembly.....more to come...

T,

#31 ·
Looking good Tom. Not sure where you find the time to get all this done.
I am debating on tearing my frontend all a part for paint to why I wait for funds for headers.
I'm stretched pretty thin some days...... :sleep:

BTW, I have your tune finished, just have to flash it to the PCM, and mail her back to you, should go out Monday. I'll stick the bellows on with it.
You should be happy with it...oh, and maybe hang on to something real tight on your first test drive..... :devil:

T,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.