Chevy Nova Forum banner

81 - 100 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hey Tom,

This is a very helpful thread and thank you for putting this info up. Do you by chance have any photos of where you mounted the fuel filter/regulator and how you ran the lines with the Rick's tank?

Thanks in advance,
RT

·
Registered
60 Posts
Fuel filter/regulator, Wix, 33737, 99-03, Corvette
Regulator/Filter Fittings, Russell, 640850, 3/8" to -6AN inverted flare (2 ea.) Push on for one end of hard line 640940 below, and discharge side of filter/regulator to fuel rails.
Regulator/Filter Fittings, Russell, 640860, 5/16" to -6AN inverted flare return line (1 ea.) Push on for return line to tank.
Regulator/Filter Fitting, Russell, 640940, 3/8” to -6AN hard line adapter to filter. (1 ea.) Push on pipe for tank side of filter/regulator (supply side)
Fuel Neck return line, Jegs part # 65385 Moroso, fits inline on fuel filler neck for fuel return with external pump, stock tank.
Tom,
Thanks for the pic, but now I am confused. You list the 640940 as being the push on pipe for the "tank side of filter/regulator (supply side)". But, from your pic and what I have researched, isn't this the "to the motor" side of the regulator and the supply from the tank goes to the offset line on the other end? And then the return to the tank is the center tap on that same end? Aslo, I only ended up needing one 640850, the 640940 already had an inverted flare on it. I am just wanting to make sure I am not doing anything wrong since you bring up a great point, "the greatest fire hazard".

Thanks,
RT

·
Registered
60 Posts
This is what I came up with. My actual part numbers all ended in a 3 for the Black/Silver finish, but are the same functionally.

·
Premium Member
20,542 Posts
Just wanted to pass on some things I have discovered, and some vendors I have located to supply some swap parts for conversions. There are a whole lot of things you don't need in a factory harness, and ECM. The cheapest route is to do it yourself, and I have an extensive electrical background, but this is far too time consuming, and one mistake and you are back at square one.

Harness and Wiring;
There are good companies out there that can rewire your harness, but they are pricey. A new harness from a well recognized company is too far out of the ball park for me. I found a company in San Antonio Texas, that makes new hot rod harnesses and will configure them any way you want too....they even have an ebay store, and a lot of their prices are well below 400 bucks. The company is techrods, and the email is [email protected] Shane is the persons name and is very knowledgeable.....a warehouse of information...and absolutely helpful in all ways......:yes:

ECM,PCM....... the computer

There are many types of these. As it happened with mine, GM only made this 2 years, and completely changed it in 1999, so ECM's are not interchangeable to a point. The 97 corvettes, and 98 Camaro's etc used the same ECM. After that they changed to a different design, and the pin connectors are not compatable. There are guides out there to repin the connectors, and they do work, but if you are wiring shy...don't even try, there are two connectors, and 80 pins in each one.
Once again, I found a company on ebay that sells hot rod ECM's, for all year models, except 1997 and 98...go figure. Apparently, these are like gold, and usually get sold with the motor and harness. He did not have any in stock at all, and could not get them.....just my luck......:( The guys name is Rodney, and his ebay store is spareecm. His website is getting reworked right now.

So I talked to him (Rodney) and the harness guy (Shane), and they both gave me information as to what needed to happen. Techrods will build a harness for a 1999-2002 Camaro style, everything will be turned off, except what is absolutely necessry to run the engine. I will only add two outputs for fan control, to energize fan relays for cooling at 180, and 200 degrees. There are other outputs for A/C etc, so you can order whatever outputs activated you need. I then spoke to Rodney, and he will program the parameters in the ECM to the fan signals etc. The ECM will come with a basic tune for a stock engine, which is what I have, but the possibilities are endless. He is turing off VATS, transmission torque management, speed control, etc. Everything these guys do is listed on their ebay sites......so this is truly mail order programming......

Fuel Tanks

I looked at several things here. Install a sump in existing tank, fuel cell, manufactured tank. There are several companies making these components. Even Chevy2only sells a modified Nova tank, but the wait is 5-6 weeks. I opted for the Rick's tank...it was just delivered today. Built in sump, 225 lph pump with internal filter, and 90 ohm sending unit. -AN fittings for supply and return.

Fuel lines, pumps
As far as fuel lines, you can use a 1999+ Corvette regulator filter, it as in inlet, and two outlets, so you don't need two lines to your fuel rails. Whatever fuel is not used, is returned to the tank, this can be mounted at the rear, and use your existing supply line, it is already internally regulated....it uses proprietary fittings, but there is a company that sells it as a kit, filter, and all fittings to tie it in, even the -AN line, right around a hundred bucks. It is Nasty Performance, the guys name is Nate.

Exhaust

This is the choke point. While I am using a clip, there seems to me no clear answer for those wishing to use a stock clip other than modifying the shock towers, as if it were a big block install. Seems most any header will work with a clip, as you have a bunch of room. Same space problem will arise if you decide to run turbos in the stock clip, so that also needs to be figured out. No clear path there.

Tranny's

Pretty clear by now, most standard trannys will require the floor pan to be operated on. As for the 4l60E, it is 3/4" longer than the 700R4, at the mount, and the yoke is the same. So if you are running a 700, and converted your crossmember, this is a wash. The ECM controls the tranny, so you can electronically set shift points etc......

As I have learned since I started this swap, there is a whole lot of information to be absorbed, and many hours of reading. The industry is very alive, and moving every day....seems LSx anything has caught on fire.....As always, once I get further along, I will post pictures as the swap progresses.

T,
tom is this the fuel line setup you bought?http://www.nastyperformance.com/shop/nasty-performance-universal-lsx-conversion-fuel-line-kit/

·
Registered
84 Posts
ls7 heads

question ,if useing ls7 heads do you know of what headers that will fit with aftermarket clip,thanks and your a ton of info

·
Registered
555 Posts
TomM thanks so much for this thread. I was very intimidated by the mess of wires in the stock harness. Once I read this thread at least 10 times, I tackled the harness myself and it was actually pretty simple even for me.
Just need to wire the 4l60E trans and start wrapping it all back up.
Thanks again!!!

·
Registered
555 Posts
Tom, I am working on the relays and fuse block and wonder if you could answer a couple of questions.... your fuse block under the hood, are those relays for the fans only? Where is your fuel pump relay mounted? Is that near the pump or under the hood? Is there any reason that the relays could not be mounted under the dash?

·
Premium Member
4,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
Tom, I am working on the relays and fuse block and wonder if you could answer a couple of questions.... your fuse block under the hood, are those relays for the fans only? Where is your fuel pump relay mounted? Is that near the pump or under the hood? Is there any reason that the relays could not be mounted under the dash?
I used a Tech Rod harness that had seperate relays. Look at post 10, last picture. It shows the fuel pump relay and harness fuses right next to the master cylinder. The relays up front are for the fans only....

No reason at all they cannot be mounted under the dash...

T,

·
Registered
555 Posts
Thanks, your build thread certainly has inspired me!=TomM;3792401]I used a Tech Rod harness that had seperate relays. Look at post 10, last picture. It shows the fuel pump relay and harness fuses right next to the master cylinder. The relays up front are for the fans only....

No reason at all they cannot be mounted under the dash...

T,[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
555 Posts
Hey Tom, guess who :) Quick question, how did you wire your ignition hot wires to your harness? I read this on lt1swap... The PCM also gets 12V+ from a KEY HOT source. This is what 'powers up' the PCM. Its important that this key hot power, along with power to injectors, coils, and so on, STAY HOT when cranking over the engine. Some accessory positions on key switches ARE NOT HOT when cranking. This also includes older vehicles that had POINTS ignition. Even the COIL wire on some of those went dead when cranking. This is because when cranking the coil was boosted to 12v+ through the R terminal on the starter solenoid. After cranking, power was restored to the coil through a resistor, lowering voltage to 6 volts.

Can I use my stock switch? Thanks again for being an amazing guy and a great resource!! Someday I will somehow repay you :)

81 - 100 of 118 Posts