Chevy Nova Forum banner

41 - 60 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Transmission Crossmember

Tom,

What did you do for a trans crossmember for mounting the trans? I am putting an LS1 in my 62 and could use some help with the trans mounting. Do you have any pictures of the crossmember?

Also how is the gas tank mounted? Does it go in the stock location?

Is there any room to put a power brake booster on the firewall?

Beautiful installation.

·
Premium Member
4,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Tom,

What did you do for a trans crossmember for mounting the trans? I am putting an LS1 in my 62 and could use some help with the trans mounting. Do you have any pictures of the crossmember?

Also how is the gas tank mounted? Does it go in the stock location?

Is there any room to put a power brake booster on the firewall?

Beautiful installation.
I got the crossmember from CPP, it is for a 700R4 swap, but both trannys are essentially the same dimension, just had to shave the back lip off as my mount was a little wide, and elongate the holes, bolts right in, no sweat.

http://www.classicperform.com/Store/1962_67_Chevy_Nova/CP16002.htm

Gas tank was a Rick's tank, and uses the stock location, he supplies stainless straps and hardware, sending unit for your application etc...really trick piece, well worth the money.

Yes I had a 7" booster on there at one time, you could probably use a 9", but I know a 7 will work for sure....

Thanks for the compliment, it was a great build and learning experience..... starting to get parts together to do another one, we are also doing my buddy's 66 at the first of the year, stay tuned for that one...feel free to ask any questions, I will try to help. Also watch for Chuck Church to come out with a set of headers for a stock clip, he is working on them now....

T,

·
Premium Member
4,578 Posts
Tom, just gotta say this is one of the best write ups I've seen yet on the subject. THANK YOU for taking the time to take good pics and post excellent, detailed info on the swap. This is an awesome example of what this site is all about.......NPHNP.

THANK YOU!!!!!!!:yes:

Now the only problem is that when I get ready to do mine, I'll be bugging the heck out of you!! HAHA

·
Premium Member
4,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Thanks, I hope it helps some folks and makes some areas clearer. It's not too bad, just hard to relearn new processess and put aside all the old school ways.......there are many ways to pull this off, and more and more vendors coming out with parts each day...

Please feel free to ask any question you might have, I'm always here to help....

T,

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Bought a neat little adapter to connect the steam line from the heads. Got it at Jegs. It came with a petcock, I just changed it over to an Earl's fitting and connected the line. Steam line done. Jeg's part number...555-51155

T,
Hi, pray tell, what part number is that earls fitting???

·
Premium Member
4,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #58 (Edited)
ok, thats great info.
can I ask why a 90° fitting? would this work ? its a lot cheaper
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EAR-984004ERL/
I had to run mine down and under the intake pipe. I had to swap sides with intake piping because of the A/C bracket otherwise I could have run it straight too...

Straight will work just fine especially for your application, I assume you will be running a speed density setup so you won't have a bunch of intake mess in your way......

T,

·
Premium Member
956 Posts
Your thread is amazing as is the car after scanning, lots of reading there, over the pics and high points it was very helpful and I have saved the thread for future referance on a non-Nova 6.0 swap I'm considering. Thanks for the write up very well done and your car and attention to detail is 2nd to none.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
I had to run mine down and under the intake pipe. I had to swap sides with intake piping because of the A/C bracket otherwise I could have run it straight too...

Straight will work just fine especially for your application, I assume you will be running a speed density setup so you won't have a bunch of intake mess in your way......

T,
yes, Im running speed density. thanks for the info

41 - 60 of 118 Posts