Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Year: 1966

Model: Chevy II, Super Sport

Engine:5.7 Liter LS1

Body/Exterior: Marina Blue 2 Door Coupe

Front End: Heidt's

Transmission: 4L60E

Rear End: 8.2 Posi, 3:55

Exhaust: S&P Coated Mid Length, Dynomax muffles, 2.5" all the way.

Wheels/Tires: 17x7" TT-2's, 4.75" backspacing. Front 215-45 R17, Rear 235-45 R17

Interior: Mostly Factory look, Autometer Gauges, Hurst Shifter, CTS 6-way electric seats.

Electrical: Engine Harness by TechRods

Accessories/Options: None

Sound system: Stock radio

Comments: Completed install of 5.7 Liter LS1 and 4L60E transmission in a little over 5 weeks. Overall driveability is excellent and very throttle responsive. I would give this type of swap a 10 out of 10, and a difficulty of 7 out of 10. It is fairly complicated and tedious, but every bit worth it....:D

Tom

·
Premium Member
4,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Teardown (cont)

Day two of the teardown. Twisted off a few bolts getting the core support off, 43 years of rust......:eek:

Anyway, nothing special, no surprises, tomorrow the motor and tranny come out, and the front end off, if I get that far. Plan is get the motor out tomorrow for sure.....

Enjoy.....

T,

·
Premium Member
4,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Things I've discovered.....(Long)

Just wanted to pass on some things I have discovered, and some vendors I have located to supply some swap parts for conversions. There are a whole lot of things you don't need in a factory harness, and ECM. The cheapest route is to do it yourself, and I have an extensive electrical background, but this is far too time consuming, and one mistake and you are back at square one.

Harness and Wiring;
There are good companies out there that can rewire your harness, but they are pricey. A new harness from a well recognized company is too far out of the ball park for me. I found a company in San Antonio Texas, that makes new hot rod harnesses and will configure them any way you want too....they even have an ebay store, and a lot of their prices are well below 400 bucks. The company is techrods, and the email is [email protected] Shane is the persons name and is very knowledgeable.....a warehouse of information...and absolutely helpful in all ways......:yes:

ECM,PCM....... the computer

There are many types of these. As it happened with mine, GM only made this 2 years, and completely changed it in 1999, so ECM's are not interchangeable to a point. The 97 corvettes, and 98 Camaro's etc used the same ECM. After that they changed to a different design, and the pin connectors are not compatable. There are guides out there to repin the connectors, and they do work, but if you are wiring shy...don't even try, there are two connectors, and 80 pins in each one.
Once again, I found a company on ebay that sells hot rod ECM's, for all year models, except 1997 and 98...go figure. Apparently, these are like gold, and usually get sold with the motor and harness. He did not have any in stock at all, and could not get them.....just my luck......:( The guys name is Rodney, and his ebay store is spareecm. His website is getting reworked right now.

So I talked to him (Rodney) and the harness guy (Shane), and they both gave me information as to what needed to happen. Techrods will build a harness for a 1999-2002 Camaro style, everything will be turned off, except what is absolutely necessry to run the engine. I will only add two outputs for fan control, to energize fan relays for cooling at 180, and 200 degrees. There are other outputs for A/C etc, so you can order whatever outputs activated you need. I then spoke to Rodney, and he will program the parameters in the ECM to the fan signals etc. The ECM will come with a basic tune for a stock engine, which is what I have, but the possibilities are endless. He is turing off VATS, transmission torque management, speed control, etc. Everything these guys do is listed on their ebay sites......so this is truly mail order programming......

Fuel Tanks

I looked at several things here. Install a sump in existing tank, fuel cell, manufactured tank. There are several companies making these components. Even Chevy2only sells a modified Nova tank, but the wait is 5-6 weeks. I opted for the Rick's tank...it was just delivered today. Built in sump, 225 lph pump with internal filter, and 90 ohm sending unit. -AN fittings for supply and return.

Fuel lines, pumps
As far as fuel lines, you can use a 1999+ Corvette regulator filter, it as in inlet, and two outlets, so you don't need two lines to your fuel rails. Whatever fuel is not used, is returned to the tank, this can be mounted at the rear, and use your existing supply line, it is already internally regulated....it uses proprietary fittings, but there is a company that sells it as a kit, filter, and all fittings to tie it in, even the -AN line, right around a hundred bucks. It is Nasty Performance, the guys name is Nate.

Exhaust

This is the choke point. While I am using a clip, there seems to me no clear answer for those wishing to use a stock clip other than modifying the shock towers, as if it were a big block install. Seems most any header will work with a clip, as you have a bunch of room. Same space problem will arise if you decide to run turbos in the stock clip, so that also needs to be figured out. No clear path there.

Tranny's

Pretty clear by now, most standard trannys will require the floor pan to be operated on. As for the 4l60E, it is 3/4" longer than the 700R4, at the mount, and the yoke is the same. So if you are running a 700, and converted your crossmember, this is a wash. The ECM controls the tranny, so you can electronically set shift points etc......

As I have learned since I started this swap, there is a whole lot of information to be absorbed, and many hours of reading. The industry is very alive, and moving every day....seems LSx anything has caught on fire.....As always, once I get further along, I will post pictures as the swap progresses.

T,

·
Premium Member
4,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update....

Got the clip installed, all except the downbars. Been busy collecting last minute parts. Working out some of the minor details, and 20 trips to the parts house and hardware store, think I finally have it all. May be able to stab the motor this weekend...got the rick's Hot Rods stainless tank in, very nice piece....enjoy..

T.

·
Premium Member
4,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Motor is In.....

Motor and tranny installed. Lots of room under the crossmember. Gonna have to change headers. #3 tube is right in the way of steering shaft, and the O2 sensor hits the frame rail on passenger side.....soooo, I see some long tubes in my future soon.....Had to slightly modify the transmission crossmember to move the mount back 3/4", no problem there...............enjoy the pics...

T,

·
Premium Member
4,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
More Updates...

Been a while since I updated, been busy. Starting to look like a car again. Got most of the sheetmetal back on and lined up. Got the cooling system in and worked out, will install fans tomorrow, and prewire the motors. Will post that up afterwards. Used the stock Camaro fans, and with a little cutting, they will work fine. The upper and lower radiator hoses are another story.

Bought a neat little adapter to connect the steam line from the heads. Got it at Jegs. It came with a petcock, I just changed it over to an Earl's fitting and connected the line. Steam line done. Jeg's part number...555-51155

Also, got the upper and lower radiator hoses plumbed up. Had to use two different hoses for the top, and one hose cut up for the bottom. Connected the lower hoses with a piece of 1.5" aluminum tubing, used stainless clamps throughout. Got the hoses at Advanced auto.. Two uppers, part numbers C70115, and E71375, forgot to ask what they go to. The one hose curves out and back in to miss the air intake tube, somewhat...tight fit, but it works.
Bottom hose is D71281.

Decided not to run power steering at this time, but wanted to maintain the ability to use the original belt, so I fabbed up a bracket to replace the PS pump.....hope it holds...:D
I used an A/C Delete bracket from Dorman, part number 34196 about 45 bucks, and just made my own spacers and braces...it lined up....:eek:

For the Autometer oil pressure gauge, I just tapped and threaded the plate right next to the oil filter, nothing special here.....

Found a part number for the filter regulator...WIX 33737, for 99-03 Corvette, a little over 30 bucks...the AC Delco is almost 60.....:eek:

Once I started putting the front end together, I figured out real quick that real estate up front is at a premium. Took three trips to the auto parts, and 6 different hoses, but finally found the ones that worked. There is at least an inch of clerance between all moving parts. The only real issue is the intake hose is barely touching the upper radiator hose, but I don't think it is an issue. I am going to try to get a piece of the aluminum tubing mandrel bent slightly to see if I can keep it from touching, but again, no real issue IMO. Will also penetrate the fenderwell, and fab up a fresh air box, and put the filter in the fenderwell, after I get it running.

T,

·
Premium Member
4,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Update...

Got the front end all closed up and aligned as well as needed for now, will put the hood on last.

Finalized all the electrical under hood, will start on interior, and mounting of ECM, lockup switch, tach, etc tomorrow.......flipped the main switch, and everything worked, jumped both fans and they worked fine, lights, blinkers etc....all checked out.Engine harness was a snap, just had to lengthen a few grounds.....nice piece, fit like a glove...

Finished up all the fuel system, just have to fill the tank and pressurize the system to check for leaks..

Decided to flip the air intake after looking at it for a while, just had to cut the 90 degree elbow about an inch, and gained the needed clearance.

Some progress pics.....

T,

Front End on and done...

Some electrical views....

Fuel system, with complimentary blingage...:D

The remaining carnage

·
Premium Member
4,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Update.....

Got the headers mounted, O2's and all connections hooked up. Reworked the fuel system slightly, mostly just line routing. Installed new plug wires. All wiring is completed except for the converter lockup, have the switch mounted, just need to terminate. Saturday should be the big day, going to fuel, and check system for leaks, change oil and filter, add tranny fluid and see if she fires off.....:eek:

·
Premium Member
4,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Well............

It's ALIIIIVVEEEEEEEE.........:yes:

Got it fired off today, had a few issues with bad/stuck injectors causing misfires. Got that all squared away and it runs and idles like a top. Nice crisp throttle response, oil pressure is 40 at idle, over 60 on rev.....tach works, even the fans came on at 175 as prescribed, then shut off around 165....I say fans, really meant fan, as it never got hot enough to bring the second one on......:D
No runs, no drips no errors......all seems okay so far, now if my dang rotors would show up.......I will start to plumb the brakes tomorrow, and get that finaled out.
To say I am a happy camper is an understatement, can't wait to drive this thing and see how it runs under load.......

T,

·
Premium Member
4,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got to drive my car for the first time yesterday. To say this motor has some pep is an under statement. Shifting was smooth all through the gears, and even into lockup as designed. I was just tooling along, enjoying my new found power, and look down to my speedo clicking along at 75 MPH....:eek:, talk about smooth.
Yes the speedo's calibrated, already checked against another vehicle.

It was 95 degrees here yesterday, and the car never got over 170. The fan came on and kept the engine well below 170, more like the 160 range, never needed the second fan.

Throttle response is very crisp, and the engine is very peppy. I had to cross a large bridge coming home from the muffler shop. When I started the approached, I eased into the throttle, and climbed right over, with no lugging or slowing. Right at the top it hit passing gear, and it was on........:eek:, really took me by surprise. I'm surprised most of you couldn't see me grinning from there....:D

It's hard to put into words the seat of the pants feel you get from this type of engine in a fairly light vehicle, but I was totally amazed at the throttle response, and crispness of it all. The fuel injection is great, and you can literally shift the car by your foot. I still have to get it tuned properly, but if it's any indication of things to come.......watch out.

For any of you riding the fence about this type of swap....do it. You won't be sorry. It was a little daunting at first, but once I got into it, the transition was very easy. There is a lot of technical help out there, and many vendors to make the swap easy.

I'll try to get a video up this week.......

Was it worth it............you bet.....would I do it again....you bet...:yes:

T,

·
Premium Member
4,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Finally got a video uploaded. Nothing special, but it runs real smooth...and gets great gas mileage so far. Looks like 147 miles on a little more than 5 gallons....and I haven't even had it tuned yet......:D

I had to check that about 4 times.....:eek:......I cannot believe it myself. Of course I haven't put my foot in it yet, still getting things broken in....but it's coming....:yes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8QwB_zkmIc

T,

·
Premium Member
4,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Part Numbers as Promised.....

Here are some part numbers for the various pieces I used for this swap. While it's not the only way to do it, use what you want or not. This is not all inclusive, as some of the remaining pieces depend on what you are putting your swap into, and preference for wiring etc.....

T,.

Fuel tank, Jeg's (Rick's Tank), 781-3031, Jegs.com or Rick's Hot Rods

Speedometer, Summit, By application, Use electric speedo signal from ECM

Engine Harness, Techrods (ebay), By application, contact Shane

Steam Return, Jegs, 555-51155, Uses 90 degree barbed fitting

Cooling Fans, 98 Camaro factory fans

Air cleaner/piping, Intake Hoses, www.intakehoses .com

Steering Knuckle, Jegs, 153-014909, DD to 9/16" - 26 Spline (For Mustang 2 rack)

Tranny fittings, 1/4 NPT to -6AN inverted flare

Water Temp Adapter, Autometer, 2277, Adapts 1/8 NPT to metric thread

Water Temp Sender, Autometer, 2259, 1/8 NPT

Fuel filter/regulator, Wix, 33737, 99-03, Corvette

Idler Pulley A/C delete, O'Reilley, 34196, Dorman Part Number

Upper hoses, Advanced Auto Parts, (New-E71927), C70115, E71375 Two hoses, cut to fit coupler, use the first two numbers for up and over TB to drivers side, use the second twonumbers for down and under TB to pass. side.

Lower Hose, Advanced Auto Parts, D71281, One hose, cut and shortened to fit

Headers Street and Performance, Call for part number and clip type

Regulator/Filter Fittings, Russell, 640850, 3/8" to -6AN inverted flare (2)

Regulator/Filter Fittings, Russell, 640860, 5/16" to -6AN inverted flare return line (1)

Regulator/Filter Fitting, Russell, 640940, 3/8 to 6-AN hard line adapter to filter. (1)

·
Premium Member
4,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Update...A/C Installed

Got the AC installed, and it is Coooolllldddddd........:yes:

Used the Kwik performance bracket. It swaps your pulleys around, and all the parts are there to perform the swap. It fit great, and the finish is good. I had to shim the idler slightly, as I didn't like the belt postition on the pulley. No big deal, one washer, and done.......

Also installed Vintage air duct system under the dash, all one piece, and fit perfect.

The car never gets over 170 degrees, as the ECM brings on both fans. Drove around Saturday with it, and it is cool, both inside and out.

Tried the other style bracket down low in the original position, but it hit the crossmemeber, and was far too tight to suite me.

Great mod, great products and good customer support and communication.....

T,

·
Premium Member
4,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Additional Update....

Had to reroute the upper hoses to accomodate the air conditioner, as I had to move the air intake back to the drivers side. I posted the part number for the hose as "NEW" in bold in the parts list.

I also added something a little extra while I was at it....Cadillac CTS seats....6 way, heated and leather to boot, also built in shoulder belts......:D

Rerouted intake and radiator hose....

Cadillac Seats...

1 - 20 of 118 Posts