Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Made a patch to repair rusted toe-kick panel. Planning to weld patch in using overlap and spot welds. The factory stiffening channels leave exposed gaps in the patch. Best option: Por 15 patch then seam sealer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
978 Posts
Before you start welding in the patch panel, I would flatten those flutes. Fit up your panel and stitch weld it up completely across the joint. That way no water can wick up between the panels. On the inside you can just weld a few tacks or you could weld the entire joint. Either way, use some seam sealer over the joint on the inside of the floor.

·
Premium Member
72, 2 Dr, 383, 700r4
1,285 Posts
Before you start welding in the patch panel, I would flatten those flutes. Fit up your panel and stitch weld it up completely across the joint. That way no water can wick up between the panels. On the inside you can just weld a few tacks or you could weld the entire joint. Either way, use some seam sealer over the joint on the inside of the floor.
I had the same thought. Flatten them and butt weld up to it or the solid stitch weld across the lap. When I lapped I did a solid stitch weld both sides.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here is where i ended up with it. I made a small slit about 2-3” long in each hump and used hand seamers to flatten them out gradually. Then i welded up the cuts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
548 Posts
My fix was to dimple the patch panel. A wooden or metal block with a hole(s) in it allows you to maintain the the flat portions while allowing a dimple to be created.

Of course, what you did works well, too!

-Rusty

1 - 6 of 6 Posts