Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Moving my springs inboard & I think I'm going with sliders. Pro & Cons for doing this on a 90% Strip / 10% Street car? Can't seem to find a good answer to this yet. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
slide

i looked and looked at them before i bought a set. I'm not gonna say i was the first person to ever put them on a drag car, but.

I got into reading circle racing magazines because i liked the tech articles better. From what i read how they help a circle tracker , they have to help a drag car. Sooo, i called Landrum i think ( late 90's ) and asked them how they think they would do on a drag car that i had never saw them mentioned in any drag racing publication or never on a drag car. They told me they really help a circle track car with forward bite , ( alot of tracks make them illegal in some classes , so they must have an advantage ) , so everything they do good for a round tracker , would have to help a drag car too. I sold my car before i got to try them out , but if you'll scan through the members cars on here , there is several that are using them with good success.

They un-bind the rear axle so it can apply more leverage to the chassis to plant the tires. A shackle is great for supporting weight, it was never designed to assist the car with traction issues.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
If you're starting from scratch, put them in. Seem fairly easy to install/setup, and they do look cool.

I do understand their design and concept..But I'm just saying, I really don't think there's much of an advantage over shackles for a drag application. The front half of the spring is crucial in a drag application..The rear half is more or less the spring rate, and technically can be controlled by a good adjustable shock.

Probably easier to weld them to the rail then to drill/sleeve the rail for a shackle..Put them in.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Sliders have been around along time. We ran them on a Camaro back in the early to mid 80's and others had been using them long before that. I really like the looks of cal trac bars and the reputation behind them is solid. I would run sliders before I ran shackles. Just be sure and get a good set.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
whats wrong with caltrac bars and some qa-1 double adjusters using factory frame mounts ( no sliders ) shoot i think www.calvertracing.com is what you may want to check out :yes:
Just installed some Caltrac bars, split mono's & adjustable Rancho shocks along with the 8.5" posi. I wanted to make sure the rear end was good and it is. So, now I'm ready to move in the springs so I can fit some 255 Drag radials in there.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Here are some pics of mine. I like them and I didn't notice any difference in ride with them. They are a great solution for moving the springs inboard.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here are some pics of mine. I like them and I didn't notice any difference in ride with them. They are a great solution for moving the springs inboard.
Very nice! What did you do on the front mounts?

·
Registered
89 Posts
wow...I've never seen anything like this. Any tech articles where I can read up on them? I'm trying to figure out how (if any) they could help our car?

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
On my 69 we only moved the rear of the springs inboard, leaving the front mounting point in the stock position. It still gives plenty of room for larger tires. Using sliders does make fabricating an inboard mounting area easier. We just welded a 2x3" section of tubing to the existing rail, and welded the slider to the tubing.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
this looks pretty.

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
think about

If you're starting from scratch, put them in. Seem fairly easy to install/setup, and they do look cool.

I do understand their design and concept..But I'm just saying, I really don't think there's much of an advantage over shackles for a drag application. The front half of the spring is crucial in a drag application..The rear half is more or less the spring rate, and technically can be controlled by a good adjustable shock.

Probably easier to weld them to the rail then to drill/sleeve the rail for a shackle..Put them in.
think about what is going on with the rearend housing at launch. The tire is being forced to begin to rotate one way , the torque applied to the rear axle is causing the axle housing to want to rotate in the opposite direction. You can either choose to harness this energy , and free it up to allow it to work more for you, or keep it tied to a shackle where it will prolly just deflect the spring and give marginal results with whatever traction aid your using.

Once ya sit there and watch them on a car , maybe you can en-vision how they can benefit the suspension

·
Registered
162 Posts
Anybody on here moved the rear springs inboard on a '62-'67? Did you use the Comp Engineering frame connectors with the front spring mount built in? Where are you guys finding/buying the sliders? Thinking about moving the springs on my '66. Trying to research it as much as possible. TIA.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have moved them in board use a piece of 4x4 .125wall there is a great thread on here with great pics,, here it is http://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103420
Thanks. I got the blueprints from 62Civa and have started the front mounts. I also just got my sliders in from Speedway motors. Only 40 bucks a piece and they are the roller bearing type too. :cool: Next weekend, the cutting begins. (leafsprings & minitub) :devil:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Over the winter I mini tubbed the fender wells, removed the old 8.2 and installed a new 9 inch ford rear. Replaced stock Mono leafs and install the calvert system. The install was easy for me, as the car already had ladder bars that hooked into the frame connectors. When I removed everything and started to fab up for installation the frame connecters provided a perfect place to mount the front spring eye. For the the rear, a piece of channel welded across the frame provided a great flat place to mount the sliders. Add piece of 1 inch pipe and a couple mounts for the upper shock eyes and pretty much done.
Just be sure to get your wheels centered good in the fender wells. I got mine off a little and need to redo them at some point. It all works great but it is just a drag car no corners to go round.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Any updates on pics of the slider install?
No update. Parts are sitting on the workbench. Kids & work have been ruling my life as of late, not to mention the wife... :slap: Should get some garage time at the end of this month.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts