Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
She has all kinds of old spray can primer on there. I had also filled the molding holes on the sides. It seams like a whole lot of work to sand it all the way down. Is there any benifit to sanding rather than striping it?

·
Registered
50 Posts
to me it seems its a matter of preference. ive tryed both, sanding and chemical stripers, i actually like the sanding more, specially since i had a few layers of paint and primer on mine. the striper didnt pull all of it off, i had to do several coats of stripper to get to metal. but then again, its depends what tools u have at ur disposal. they both have their pros and cons

·
Registered
34 Posts
Media blast

I LIVE in iowa and i can get a car blasted for about 500 bucks and to me it is worth every bit of it just make sure it is media blasted and then etch prime it immediatly
good luck

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have been using a combination of sanding, and media blasting. My car has seven layers of paint and I have found that sanding with a DA sander on all the body panels.

I used chemical stripper on the roof because the roof flexed with I put pressure with the sander. Funny enough the chemical stripper removed all the layers of paint except of for the original 60's primer. But them it made sanding it alot easier.

Sanding has been great mainly because I have a decent sized compressor. If you have a small compressor, it will make you life miserable.

Also look into renting a sand blaster from your local tool rental place. In San Jose, I rented a 100lb sand blaster pot, and it came with a tow behing compressor (like they use with jackhammers), air respirator with supply hose and like 100 feet of air line. For 200$ a day. I also found a place in Oakland, CA that sold DuPont's "Starblast" in 50lb bags for 11$ a bag. I used about 200lbs.

I attempted to media blast the paint off, however because of the 7 layers in was taking forever. Worked GREAT on the interier, engine compartment and everything that only hade two or three layers on it.

I think total with sand paper and the blaster rental I have spent about 350$ on stripping the entire car inside and out. Several businesses gave me a quote of 100$ an hour and they could not tell me how long to strip the car completely.

I highly recommend the STARBLAST material. It removes all rust, paint, old bondo and leaves a nice smooth finish. Plus being a natural mined mineral, I just drive to a field nearby and blasted it there.

I will try and find the name of the business in Oakland that sells it. They said they were the only ones in northern ca that sold it.

Hope this helps.

will post some pics soon

·
Registered
443 Posts
Theres a guy in or around sacramento that does cars only. Its 1500 bucks to blast (soda) and epoxy prime. I talked to him at the Turlock swap meet and cant remember the name.

If you're going the rental route that was suggested you had better hurry. The days of outside blasting are quickly coming to an end.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Media Blasting is a bit out of budget right now. So i guess my best bet is just a D.A. sander and a lot of time.

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
I sanded mine. And really, it is alot of work. But it was a weighing of what I can do myself and how much money I had to have someone media blast it. So, Im retired and have the time so out came the DA sander. I bought ALOT of good 3m paper for the job. I started accumulating the paper on ebay some time back so it was pennies on the dollar for what the stores like autobody toolmart want. They are a good source though. http://www.autobodytoolmart.com/

Use the paper like it was free, change offten, make the paper do the work by changing it alot. Otherwise you are just buffing the paint and primer and creating heat...

Oh, if you have any electrical machinery in the area drape some plastic over them. You will be creating dust and it will have fine metal dust in it. It can wreck some electrical equipment.

Here are some picks, gives a sense of accomplishment after you are done.... JR

·
Premium Member
1,160 Posts
Too bad your so far away

I have 5 gallons of aircraft stripper just laying around, id strip, less damage to the metal

S

·
Premium Member
8,050 Posts
If you lock the DA pad so it works more like a grinder it will strip of paint quicker. For really thick paint it worked really well for me. The as the paint gets thinner or over body lines I switched back the the dual action mode.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I have used some chemical stripper in the past and if you don't clean any residue off the bare spots right away it will corrode pretty quickly. I have also read on a message board (possibly on here) from other people that used chemicals and they had issues later on with the paint and rusting. Not sure if it was specifically from the stripper or not but they all seemed to think it was. Now i am a little nervous to use anymore. Just something to consider.

·
Premium Member
558 Posts
Save a lung have it soda blasted

SODA BLASTING IS THE WAY TO GO. NO DAMAGE TO THE METAL, GLASS, CHROME AND IT LEAVES THE SURFACE JUST AS IT LOOKED WHEN IT CAME OUT OF THE PRESS WHEN THE SHEETMETAL WAS SHAPED. THE SODA ALSO LEAVES A FILM ON THE SHEETMETAL THAT SLOWS SURFACE RUST AND GIVES YOU TIME TO PRIME AND SEAL THE METAL. OTHER STIPPING METHODS WILL FLASH RUST ALMOST OVER NIGHT AND WILL RUST FROM YOUR FINGERPINTS ON THE BARE METAL.

CHECK OUT THIS LINK, THEY DID MY 63 SS.

http://www.sotexsodablast.com/

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
Those pics are great!!! How did you get your cowling so clean????
Thanks.. Umm, time... And an assortment of discs (red 3M scotch bright for the cowl) for the detailed areas. DA is good for the major flat panels. But the angle air sander with scotch bright discs did all the tight areas, and time... Its a slow process, but loud music helps :) JR

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This might be a real dumb idea and total waste of time and $$ but what if :rolleyes: I used the sand blasting gun from a little parts sand blast cabent and a bunch of media. Would this just waste all the media real fast?

·
Premium Member
11,931 Posts
This might be a real dumb idea and total waste of time and $$ but what if :rolleyes: I used the sand blasting gun from a little parts sand blast cabent and a bunch of media. Would this just waste all the media real fast?
The spray pattern on those guns are too concentrated for you to really make any progress. I think that blasting at home is not a good idea as dust gets EVERYWHERE.

All of the stripping methods have their pro's and con's. I think chemical stripping is the easiest and cheapest way to do it especially if you're doing it at home. It took me 4 gallons of stripper, a couple of scrapers, 2 bags of steel wool and 2 bunches of bar towels I bought at the local Costco to strip the car in three days working only at night after work. People complain about the fumes but I didn't think it was bad at all and barely noticed it.

Another alternative if you have the money would be to have the entire body acid dipped. This will get everything although some people have complained that some areas shouldn't be stripped of their protective coating like the insides of rocker panels.

Soda Blasting is good also but, again, people have complained that the soda gets into nooks and crannies and can ruin your paint job down the line. I've never seen it happen but that's what I've read.

John

·
Registered
438 Posts
Don't know if this will help but my brother tried stripping his GTO once and it worked but he said it was a huge mess. He's sanded all his cars ever since.

·
Premium Member
11,931 Posts
Don't know if this will help but my brother tried stripping his GTO once and it worked but he said it was a huge mess. He's sanded all his cars ever since.
REALLY? I thought it was MUCH cleaner than sanding!

I just scraped all the sludge that would collect on the scraper into a shoebox buy scraping the side of the scraper on the edge of the shoebox. It would all fall into the shoebox nice and clean. Once I got down to the last coat of primer I took some coarse steel wool and scrubbed the area with it. Paint went down to metal really easily and all I had to do was wipe off the sludge with a bar towel. Came out nice and clean. The steel wool also worked really well in all those nooks and crannies and hard to get places.

John

1 - 20 of 21 Posts