Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the year the front clip gets done on the car. I will have a choice between a manual rack or power when I go to order everything. Not having power steering never bothered me but then again I wouldnt hate it I guess and it would be the time to do it when the front end is apart. I realize it’s kinda subjective but does anyone wish they’d gone power steering? Who has it and loves it, hates it, etc?

·
Registered
184 Posts
I went to a manual rack on my 63, just to keep the system simple
it can be just slightly tough to turn wheels when sitting still, but is easy when moving just a bit
on highway it drove and handled perfect
I only drove it about 300 miles before taking apart for entire rebuild

will probably go with manual brakes too

·
Registered
137 Posts
I originally opted for the manual setup, and built my car accordingly, but after three shoulder surgeries and three hand surgeries later, I changed over to power. Believe me, the cost if I had originally done the power would have saved me Boatloads. Not only buying the power rack, but all new accessory drive, accessories, hose kits, steering u-joints, pressure reducers/flow reducers, new front end alignment, spacers for the rack, and whatever else I forgot. My point is, that couple hundred bucks you can save, might not be such a bad investment over unexpected changes down the road.
Does my power steering really make that much difference, some, not saying that the manual rack was hard, but, with my new limitations, even some helps. For What It's Worth.

·
Premium Member
1968 Chevy II Nova, Central Arkansas
2,083 Posts
It all depends on what you want out of your car. Originality? You obviously are not going for originality since you are putting a rack of some kind in it. Horsepower? Some will worry the power steering pump will rob a few ponies. Most of our cars produce more horse power than a street tire can handle. Drivability? This is my category because I want a driver. I love my PS and have no regrets about installing it.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I went from power steering with a factory box to a manual rack and shaved about 40lbs off the nose of the car. I'm not planning on carving corners or even driving that much on the street though. It all depends on your end goal. Do you want the cleanest engine bay possible? Easiest driving experience? Raw driving experience?

I think if you're going to have AC you might as well have power steering. If you aren't going to have all the creature comforts it may be worth skipping the power steering.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I thought I didn't need when I ordered my front clip. Right now I'm in process of changing it to power. Do it now, it's much cheaper and easiest when you are building it.
Also, if you're thinking the same about A/C, do it now and put on the pulleys, belts and brackets, and compressor while motor is out. You'll be glad you did.

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
I have saved this thread for future reference on my projects. I kinda like the remote pump idea and not having to have a pump and hoses going to the engine.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My two cents. I enjoy the manual steering, I feel like it's what makes the car so raw and a more enjoyable experience vs driving my 6 speed WRX daily.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the replies everyone! I think I'm going to do the power rack and pinion since this will be the time with the car all apart and more because I am afraid of having regrets and don't want to do the work again (or spend the money again). Anyone know if I would have to change my steering box? or can I just add the pump, lines, etc.?

·
Premium Member
3,637 Posts
Thanks for the replies everyone! I think I'm going to do the power rack and pinion since this will be the time with the car all apart and more because I am afraid of having regrets and don't want to do the work again (or spend the money again). Anyone know if I would have to change my steering box? or can I just add the pump, lines, etc.?
If you are referring to your original steering box- that is no longer needed as the rack takes this over. What front clip are you using? You will need a power steering pump with mounting brackets and properly aligned pulleys. you will also need the fitting and lines.

·
Premium Member
7,823 Posts
One thing to consider is if you will have to run an additional pulley off the crank. This was one of the reasons I opted not to go with power steering on my supercharged big block. There is barely enough room between the blower pulleys and the radiator support now that if I were to add another pulley would require me to move the engine back even more for clearance.

Another variable to consider is how wide are your front tires? The wider they are the harder it is to turn at a standstill. While you are moving though it is no big deal and I actually like the "feel" of manual steering when driving down the road. You don't get that with power steering.

My car came from the factory with manual steering and manual brakes.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If you are referring to your original steering box- that is no longer needed as the rack takes this over. What front clip are you using? You will need a power steering pump with mounting brackets and properly aligned pulleys. you will also need the fitting and lines.
Ahh ok thanks. Im ignorant to vintage car steering setups and Ive seen power steering boxes so wasnt sure if I’d need one with a rack set up. Thanks ordered a CPP mustang II front clip, currently trying to figure out how i want to arrange my alternator and power steering pump set up. Still have to get that stuff yet but dont want to order anything til I get the car out of storage and get eyes on it again.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I went with TCI manual rack set up, its fine for me. It would be better if I had a steering wheel larger than 13in. Parking can be challenging when the wife drives it but its fine for me.

·
Premium Member
3,637 Posts
Ahh ok thanks. Im ignorant to vintage car steering setups and Ive seen power steering boxes so wasnt sure if I’d need one with a rack set up. Thanks ordered a CPP mustang II front clip, currently trying to figure out how i want to arrange my alternator and power steering pump set up. Still have to get that stuff yet but dont want to order anything til I get the car out of storage and get eyes on it again.
no worries- trust me I was learning on the fly building my 65- still learning as far as that goes. you may want to check in to a new steering column. I used an Ididit to replace the " spear of death" system. The rod that comes out of the steering box that you have no continues up through the column and the steering wheel attaches to it- hence the " spear of death" reference.

Yes- best to hold off ordering anything - Let us know how you are doing- You can always start a project thread.
You are in the best place possible as there are many people here willing to help.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts