Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I'm driving a 73, 4 door, with a 250 l6, all stock, with a powerglide trans.

I'm looking to do upgrades (aren't we all) but I'm at a bit of a price pinch right now.

I've already decided I'm going to put on a clifford ram-air intake and split headers, but until I get the money to do that, I'm thinking about porting the stock manifolds (as well as cleaning and painting them).

Any one have any thoughts as to whether this is even worth it?

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Personaly I don't think you would gain enough on the stock units to make it worth your time.Because you could not get into them far enough.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Port Match to gaskets.

I would port match to gaskets I/D ,intake,exhust and carb gaskets. This is easy and can wake-up an engine up-grade with a new intake and exhaust manifolds.

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
a Sixer head isn't comparable to a set of V8's. if you were to spring the big bucks and have it professionally ported... yes. but to match port... you'd never notice the difference... don't bother :no:

·
Registered
26,336 Posts
IN ADDITION THE COST COULD GO TOWARDS WHAT YOU REALLY WANT! :yes:

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Price pinch

He is in a price pinch right now. I think that a gasket port match would help any thing and he can do it him self. If Grumpy Jenkins though like you talk,I don't think he go racing. All the little things you do give you "The Hot Set Up".

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the advice, I have no experience with match-porting, but my old man ported expensive headers himself back in the day, but those were for v8's. If he can help me do it, I may just do it for a learning experience..

New question (not worth starting a new thread) though...Anyone know whether an old 454 out of a pontiac would bolt in to my 3rd gens engine mounts?

·
Registered
518 Posts
Thanks for the advice, I have no experience with match-porting, but my old man ported expensive headers himself back in the day, but those were for v8's. If he can help me do it, I may just do it for a learning experience..

New question (not worth starting a new thread) though...Anyone know whether an old 454 out of a pontiac would bolt in to my 3rd gens engine mounts?
Its cool to start a new thread!! We are talking Chevy 454 and not pontiac 455??? big blocks have their own frame mounts...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Its cool to start a new thread!! We are talking Chevy 454 and not pontiac 455??? big blocks have their own frame mounts...
I believe it's a chevy 454 that this guy I work with had in his old pontiac, though I have yet to see it so it could be a pontiac 455.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts