Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fella's.Last thursday I finally got my truck legal and on the road.

And today I spun a rod bearing.....

When I did this last time I spun a main bearing.And the block was toast.What are the chance's this block is toast?I plan on using another crank I have that's still in good shape.

The engine did get warm.After this happened.I wasn't close to home and the only thing that motor did was make a slight noise.And a loose of power.It made it home...

Also I assuming that rod is ruined to also.

I though I would be alot more bummed about this.But I will be alot happier with a fresh lower end.I knew that thing wasn't gonna last that long.

I will have pics tommorow.Gonna have alot of questions to.I know it's not my nova.But it's my other hot rod.And you guys always help me...Thanks :yes:

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
were not going to be able to help you this time due to the fact you have voided your nova warrenty by driving a non nova vehicle sorry for the inconvienance and your loss

j/k............

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
I'd find someone that knows what they are doing to analyze why it's killing bearings, before you even think about another crank or block. You are obviously missing something important.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well bowtie I am not really missin anything important.I expected this.

The shortblock was out of a mud truck.It idled with 20 psi warm oil pressure.About 35-40 warm while crusing at 2500.The motor was worn out.I know it's from the 70's.Still standard bore.Probably never been through.I was shifting it at 6500rpms.

Right now the plans are to take the block to the machine shop for a hot tank and new cam bearings.And who knows what else.Gotta borrow a buddies engine stand to tear it down later.

Finding someone that knows what there doing in my town is pretty dang hard unless you got lots of moohla.Which I don't...Sorry I gotta learn the hard way.And you nova guys are big big help to me.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Getting ready to go out and tear it down.Will have some pics up later.

Hopefully all goes well.I got to thinkin about it and I do have a buddy who's dad has knows what's going on with building a lower end.Also the guy I bought some of big block stuff from.He was a nice guy and he builds motors everyday.(litterally.His shop is his living room of his house)

What are the chances I can have the block cleaned,Throw a new crank and bearings in it.Along with new cam bearings and cleaning everything.That it will be alright?I got laid off about a month ago and have 50 buck to my name.So this where I gotta spend the money where I need it...

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
It idled with 20 psi warm oil pressure.About 35-40 warm while crusing at 2500
What's wrong with that? Mine idles at 20 or less and never sees more than 60 or so at 7500. It's not a Pontiac or Buick, it doesn't need 80 psi like a lesser engine.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Only a machine shop can tell you, take it in and see if it can be line bored. The main bearing "crush" might be off or some other cause like out of round. There's gotta be a reason why it spun a main bearing.

Oh, just throwing new bearings in it; might as well throw that $50.00 in the toilet and flush without machining and checking or just give it to me and I'll get a good drunk on for ya.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well it was a little worse than I thought.

Yeah one of the rod bearings was definitly ruined.And 1 of the mains spun...

I know I will have to have the machine shop check everything out.I got a good machine shop I go to.They will surely be able to help me.

I have never built a shortblock.Installed heads,Cams,intakes.Everything but put the crank in and install the piston and rods.

I'm not scared to do it.And believe that I can do it.Never a better time to learn than now.

Everything looked good except one piston came out with a broken ring.Other than that stuff looked alright...

Need to give the shop a call tommorow and see what they say about line boring the mains.And the rest of stuff that needs done.I am broke right now.But it won't be 4-ever.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I didn't take any pics.No really reason to really.I am sure we have all seen a jacked up sbc.

I put up an add on craigslist to sell one of my 454's or trade it for a 350.I got a couple replies already and see where that goes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts