Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 67 Nova 2 door hardtop, sport coupe. It's been in my family since 1977. Recently the car was involved in a minor fender bender. Front damage to body parts only. I'm torn as to whether to modify it with a new sub-frame with disc brakes and rack and pinion or leave it original? There doesn't seem to be any damage to the original frame, as the point of impact was about 6" above the frame. If I keep it, I will have it checked with the lasers for tweeks. I like to leave things as original as possible, BUT, I like to make things better than they were. Disc brakes, rack and pinion, and best of all more room between the inner fender wells and the engine would be nice. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
I think the upgrade to your car will add value to your car and make it handle and stop a whole lot safer than the old stuff can. :yes:

This is as long as it isn't an SS or collector car. I would think about keeping the original parts.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think the upgrade to your car will add value to your car and make it handle and stop a whole lot safer than the old stuff can. :yes:

This is as long as it isn't an SS or collector car. I would think about keeping the original parts.
Most definitely, I agree. I was leaning this way, you've helped me get closer to my decision. Thanks

·
Registered
512 Posts
All those upgrades are bolt on. Keep all the original parts and label the hardware so it can be put back to original if someone chooses.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All those upgrades are bolt on. Keep all the original parts and label the hardware so it can be put back to original if someone chooses.
I will and thanks. Is there any other choices out there besides the Heidt brand? Is the air bag suspension a good option instead of coil springs? I want to have a lot of adjustable height and width for 7" rims. I like 15" rims or taller and low profile 50's. I had them on my 66' Nova with a stock front end and they sometimes rubbed while making slow sharp turns.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Measuring for rim height, width and backspace very carefully can save you a lot of headaches with rubbing tires. It could also lessen a lot of suspension mods.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
I say do it your WAY. Kept everything you take off Just in case you every want to sell . Just my 2 cents worth

. Later Larry Mc

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Measuring for rim height, width and backspace very carefully can save you a lot of headaches with rubbing tires. It could also lessen a lot of suspension mods.
The Heidt dealer says I should order narrowed A arms and dropped 2" spindles. I plan on using 15x7 rims with low profile tires. I'm not sure about the offset on the back side of the rims. I think my stock 66' had the same size and the offset was 2 1/2 to 3" on the back side of the rims. My goal is to have the same size tires on front and back so I can rotate them. I like wheels slightly taller than stock. Not to tall!

·
Registered
5,681 Posts
Like everyones saying keep the part(s) and upgrade....

You will have the value either way you look at it....its not going down in price, just up :rolleyes:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ready to get back into the project!

Well it's been 3 years since I did anything to my 67' Nova project besides had the paint stripped off. It's sitting in my garage and I'm growing impatient. I have everything I need to put it back to it's original condition after the fender bender. At first I thought I would get a new bolt on front end with power steering, disc brakes, etc. But after contemplating $5 to $7 grand for a nice unit, powder coated and ready to bolt on, I think I'll keep the original front end on there. I don't want to build a road racer, just like the idea of stopping and steering better than 1967 standards. Any body have any suggestions what to do about improving braking and steering on a lower budget? What's the best bang for the buck for someone who basically would be happy with a daily driver that stops and turns nicely?

p.s.
I realize I'm responding to my own post 3 years ago where I left off trying to decide whether to modernize the car that much or not. Turns out I really don't care too much what you see under the hood. I'd rather fix it economical yet done right. As long as it stops and steers somewhat better than a 1967 car did in the past.

Life's too short! Get the damn thing drive-able and have some fun with it before I'm dead!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts