Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a perfectly strong 427 SBC with Dart SHP block, AFR heads, Fully forged bottom end making 600HP at the crank. Engine only has 8k miles on it.

I might have a good deal on a brand new LS7 making 850Hp - price is TBD.

I would have to sell the SBC, buy the LS7, new headers etc... and pay a buddy to drop in the LS. Im probably looking at an out-of-pocket cost around $6K.

Would you keep the SBC or drop in LS7?

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
sbc

Not sure what to tell you what to do but i've been thinking about putting a 427 in my 67'. let me know if you end up deciding to sell it

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will! Its a super strong motor and I've never had any issues with it. It comes with FiTech fuel injection as well.

Not sure what to tell you what to do but i've been thinking about putting a 427 in my 67'. let me know if you end up deciding to sell it

·
Registered
928 Posts
I have a perfectly strong 427 SBC with Dart SHP block, AFR heads, Fully forged bottom end making 600HP at the crank. Engine only has 8k miles on it.

I might have a good deal on a brand new LS7 making 850Hp - price is TBD.

I would have to sell the SBC, buy the LS7, new headers etc... and pay a buddy to drop in the LS. Im probably looking at an out-of-pocket cost around $6K.

Would you keep the SBC or drop in LS7?
Does the 6k include the price of the new LS7?

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Is the LS7 Supercharged or Tubro'd? If yes you will have to add extra cooling and spacing might be a problem in a stock clip.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Reliability power and better gas mileage
I think you need to do more research. I'm far from an expert, but based on the limited info provided I think you get 1 out of 3 (more power) with the proposed engine swap, and I'm not convinced that's a direct result of it being an LS.

For less than $6k, couldn't you get the same or similar bump in HP out of the engine you already have? You're not likely to get very good economy at these power levels, and you're already using FI, so that kind of maximizes that end of things. Reliability? The more you go past stock, the more it becomes a crap shoot in my opinion.

Not trying to sway you one way or the other. Just food for thought.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
I’d stick with the current 427....not really gaining much going with the Lsx besides saying that you have an lsx. If it was boosted, I’d consider the swap.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I just finished the install of a Gen IV 454 in my 72. I didn’t even consider a LS conversion. If I was building a car to drive around the country, have lots of new generation hp at my disposal and get relatively decent fuel mileage, LS would be the choice. But I drive my car for fun, show and drive within an hour of home and the big block has more power than I need for that on the street.

I guess I’m a little old school but I do respect the work it takes to make the conversion to an LS. Just not my cup of tea, and yes, I’m over 60.

·
Registered
878 Posts
It's an LS world.
SBC interest, as a new engine, is not what it used to be.
If money is an issue I'd first make sure you can get the kind of money you feel your 427 is worth.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
If you have lots of money in the 427 I wouldn't get rid of it. Once you run them they just aren't worth what you paid to build it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
FWIW... just went from a 383/TH350 set-up to a LS3/TKO. Nowhere near 850 hp but 440 rwhp.
I love it. Lots of fun. I even put mini cats on it so everytime I make a quick run I dont smell like I took a bath in gasoline.
It did cost some $$$ but it’s been reliable as hell so far.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts