Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,
I am still in the process of building my 66 over the winter and had a question regarding headers. I recently bought some stainless works headers. They are stainless steel. I was wondering if there is any issues with having them chrome plated? Will it effect anything? How much do you think it would cost? I am in CA so probably more than I want to pay.
THanks,
Trevin

·
Registered
688 Posts
Good chrome requires quality buffing.
They won't be able to buff in the tight places.... pretty much the whole header.
Quality chrome headers are buffed prior to assembly

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
those stainless headers look good when they get that blue color from the heat. save your money on the chrome an put into some thing else.

·
Super Moderator
3,568 Posts
It can be polished to look like chrome. The problem is returning to polish it over and over again once installed. If it's a Model A grille shell, not so tough. If it's headers, why not enjoy that they won't rust (or corrode as quickly) and save yourself the grief.

Pictured is a stainless-bodied '36 Ford--just like chrome.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
what's the story about that 36 ford.now if you could find one of them old airstreams to tow behind that 36.

·
Premium Member
1,915 Posts
Today getting anything chromed is very expensive. I remember back in the day my buddy had a VW trike and he had just about every piece on that thing chromed. It was a lot cheaper back then.

·
Super Moderator
3,568 Posts
Thanks for the link, Blyoth. There were about a half a dozen made at the end of the run in '36 as advertisement for a staineless steel producing company. As I understand it, the hardness of the stainless ruined what was left of the dies. Ford was big into stainless steel.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
great story about that stainless 36. i worked in a stamping plant an to take stamping die from cold rolled steel to stainless steel would involve a lot more that putting the stainless in the press an hitting the down button. if any of you drive a car made from 92-95 you most likely have parts i made on your car.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts