Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 72 nova currently with a 500hp 350. The new motor I am looking at is a blown 434ci sbc which will be around 1400hp on race gas. This car will be pro street I know you can run a 10 inch slick on it with stock leaf springs. Should I back half the car and run a 4 link or should I stay with 10 inch slicks. Atm car is not tubed and I’m not sure how much extra width tubing will give me. Thanks for any help it’s appreciated.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I would. Granted it can be done with a small tire and min tubbing the car, but it will be a lot less consistent. I ran a 16X32 tire under my chevelle and never had to tune it or anything.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
What are you going to be doing with the car,.. besides cruising Pro Street style ?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i plan on dragging it most of the time and running it on the street to work like once a week which is only 7 miles round trip

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
i plan on dragging it most of the time and running it on the street to work like once a week which is only 7 miles round trip

What kind of dragging ?.. heads up ,class, index , brackets ?

each style of racing could use a different combination.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
trying for super comp which is 8.90 index could try for super gas but would have to take the blower off.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I guess a better question is... what shape is the car in? Are the floors, frame, and trunk solid, or have the iron mites started to nibble at the car?

Call me soft, but I've never been a fan of seeing clean, OE sheetmetal cars get cut up. But, if things are already a little "porous", no harm no foul. You could start with running the car "as-is" and then chopping later; there's plenty of very fast small-tire cars out there.

There aren't a ton of these cars left. :no:

·
Premium Member
3,491 Posts
I guess a better question is... what shape is the car in? Are the floors, frame, and trunk solid, or have the iron mites started to nibble at the car?

Call me soft, but I've never been a fan of seeing clean, OE sheetmetal cars get cut up. But, if things are already a little "porous", no harm no foul. You could start with running the car "as-is" and then chopping later; there's plenty of very fast small-tire cars out there.

There aren't a ton of these cars left. :no:
I second this:yes:

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
trying for super comp which is 8.90 index could try for super gas but would have to take the blower off.
for index racing the 4-link is going to be your best bet, with the biggest tire possible.

the whole goal will be to make the car react as fast as possible on the .400 Pro tree, & be consistently fast on the index...
plus you often wont be running on a super sticky track,. sometimes you're early morning or late night in the cold,.. or stupid hot in the middle of the afternoon.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I think bracket racing may be a better idea for racing. Without some major works stock front end backhalf car will never react quick enough for super comp racing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
the car we bought for 5 grand. it runs and drives but its not prize at all. I think what we are gona do is cram a 11 inch wide tire under the back if we can and run it. Was told by the local speed shop that 11 inch tire should handle 1000hp as there are guys running 2000hp on 10 inch tires.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
the car we bought for 5 grand. it runs and drives but its not prize at all. I think what we are gona do is cram a 11 inch wide tire under the back if we can and run it. Was told by the local speed shop that 11 inch tire should handle 1000hp as there are guys running 2000hp on 10 inch tires.
this may be true... but not for bracket racing or index racing....

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I think you should stop listening to the guy at the speed shop. Yes there are factory stock eliminator cars going 7.80s on a 9" slick too. But any car going fast on a small tire is doing it WITH 1000s and 1000s of dollars in chassis work and engine management systems. They are not bolting a tire on it and running it wide open on shelf bought parts. Now in the real world, for consistency on marginal tracks a bigger tire will be easier and more consistent.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks for your help. i know back halfing is semi expensive probably somewhere in the 5 grand range but i want it done right and to be competitive

·
Registered
344 Posts
To reiterate, you can be plenty fast and "done right" without a backhalfed car. 1/2 of that $5,000 backhalf investment, spent on suspension alone, will get you 75% of the way there without cutting up the car. :yes: And, if you're worried about scrubbing the outer quarter lip, you can always roll them.

Split monos, caltracs bars, good shocks, and a set of properly offset 15x8's with 275 slicks will make that thing boogie out of the hole. It's not how much peak power you have that matters, it's how you deliver it and control it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts