Chevy Nova Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
I fell in love with cycling I guess. I just hope that people won't kill me.
I've had to take out a sideview mirror with my U-lock... Austin is a terrible place to ride - bicycle or motorcycle. It's just awful. I used to ride my bike all over the city, now it's just around my neighborhood at best.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I've got an Orbea mountain bike and ride often in the summer in Michigan. We previously lived right next to the trail at Pontiac Lake State Rec area, but since we moved I've become a dirt road rider.

·
Registered
344 Posts
There will always be people in cars that don't pay attention, are disrespectful, or just make mistakes. When biking on the road, especially in traffic, there will always be risk. If you expect every driver to respect you when you ride your bike, you are an accident waiting to happen. I ride on the sidewalk whenever possible (better I'm alive with a ticket, than injured/dead), and avoid roads with no shoulder to ride on. I also always ride on a dirt shoulder vs. riding on the pavement. I have a mountain bike and it's better exercise to be in the dirt.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
There will always be people in cars that don't pay attention, are disrespectful, or just make mistakes. When biking on the road, especially in traffic, there will always be risk. If you expect every driver to respect you when you ride your bike, you are an accident waiting to happen. I ride on the sidewalk whenever possible (better I'm alive with a ticket, than injured/dead), and avoid roads with no shoulder to ride on. I also always ride on a dirt shoulder vs. riding on the pavement. I have a mountain bike and it's better exercise to be in the dirt.
I have heard Michigan is a beautiful riding state. I take back and residential roads when possible, but in the new town I moved to, this is not possible to get to work. There are no sidewalks, not that I ride there anyway, there are some times no shoulders, there are giant pot holes that requires me to take the lane. I don't think it is unreasonable to ask for respect, I am not out purposefully trying to get killed just making a plea for drivers to know we are people too.

·
Registered
29 Posts
When I was a kid, long ago now, my buddies I used to ride all over the place in a busy city and out into less populated areas. We were taught to ride facing traffic so you could see what was coming. At that time no one was fiddling with phones or other electronic crap in their cars. :( There may have been some drunks but don't recall any incidents like that.
Today there is no way in Heksinki I would EVER ride a bike in the street! I don't get it at all.
There are many bike driver's that think they are too cool to be bothered by vehicles and just don't care about shooting out in front of vehicles and doing other stupid things like riding within a door's length of parked cars. You want respect? Stop them from being idiots.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
When I was a kid, long ago now, my buddies I used to ride all over the place in a busy city and out into less populated areas. We were taught to ride facing traffic so you could see what was coming. At that time no one was fiddling with phones or other electronic crap in their cars. :( There may have been some drunks but don't recall any incidents like that.
Today there is no way in Heksinki I would EVER ride a bike in the street! I don't get it at all.
There are many bike driver's that think they are too cool to be bothered by vehicles and just don't care about shooting out in front of vehicles and doing other stupid things like riding within a door's length of parked cars. You want respect? Stop them from being idiots.
wait wait wait. hold on. First you ride with traffic not against. Second, in order for me to not be killed by a driver I have to personally stop all of the idiots that also use the same mode of transportation as me? All I am asking for is to give me a meter of space when passing, try to not throw dirty street water at me, and don't honk at me.

·
Registered
29 Posts
NOW you ride that way. Then no because you could see what other vehicles were doing. This was taught in school plus parents.
I give bike drivers plenty of room, they give me none.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts