Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed one in a 68-72 Nova yet? I have a 1968 and want to install one if there are no tunnel modifications needed.

·
Premium Member
1968 Chevy II Nova, Central Arkansas
2,062 Posts
Me too! I don't think a lot of them have been shipped out yet. I saw someone on here getting ready to put one in a I think a first gen. He welded in a 4 speed hump. I'm not sure if you have to do that or if he was just trying to make it look more correct.

·
Premium Member
119 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I saw that on their site also. They also list my 68 as a Gen 2 lol. So I contacted them to confirm and this is what they emailed me back. Check the note section. Lots of conflicting info with American Powertrain. Then I contacted Silver Sport and he said they have not personally installed it in a third gen but guaranteed it would fit. He said if there was any modifications necessary he would personally pay to have everything shipped back to him. I'm going to go with Silver Sport for sure

"NOTE: Kit does NOT require modifications to tunnel, console or chassis."

Silver Sport Transmissions and others have kits available.

I'm planning to use one in a 66 project.

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
I'll probably go with Silver Sport too.

·
Premium Member
2,062 Posts
"NOTE: Kit does NOT require modifications to tunnel, console or chassis."
The information Bryanw80 posted indicates tunnel modifications are required. I know my car would require "some" modifications as it is currently a column shifted 4L60e that I got from Keisler. Silver Sport took over Keisler when they went out of business. Bryan if you pull the trigger on it you need to post up your experience from order date to burning rubber. I know a lot of us are interested in how it comes out.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The information Bryanw80 posted indicates tunnel modifications are required. I know my car would require "some" modifications as it is currently a column shifted 4L60e that I got from Keisler. Silver Sport took over Keisler when they went out of business. Bryan if you pull the trigger on it you need to post up your experience from order date to burning rubber. I know a lot of us are interested in how it comes out.
I will post when I end up doing it for sure. I do believe there are no tunnel modifications necessary as stated by Silver Sport. I think American Powertrain has a misprint.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I ordered my TKX from silversport

probably some issues with definition of modifications

The TKO needed some mod to tunnel just to get the tranny to fit

yet even a muncie needs modification if going in a column shift car as just cutting a hole for shifter is a modification

right from factory the tunnel humps for 4 speeds and auto differed as shifter position is different

so here is my interpretation

no mods needed to get the TKX to fit

no mods needed to 4 speed floor shifter car

hole for shifter needed for stock column shift car, add the 4 speed hump patch to match stock 4 speed appearance, but probably not needed

probably slight mod needed to auto floor shifter car as shifter position different (don't know if they will or can supply a TKX with shifter in stock auto shifter pos)

·
Premium Member
2,062 Posts
hole for shifter needed for stock column shift car, add the 4 speed hump patch to match stock 4 speed appearance, but probably not needed
I am pretty sure doerf was the one I seen patching in the 4 speed hump.

·
Registered
111 Posts
you mean this...yup thats me

I don't think this added hump is needed for clearance so much as added to get a flat surface around shifter for stock look

tunnel.jpg

·
Registered
451 Posts
Something to consider. Fitment will be different between an LS engine versus a gen 1 small block engine do to the bellhousing mounting flange on the rear of the engine. The LS engine is flush with the heads which will move the transmission forward.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts