Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the complete Church Boys front end on my 67. Why when I back up and stop do my tires go extremely negative camber. Once I move forward everthing straightens out. But when I go to a car show and back into my space my front wheels look horrible, everybody tells me I need an alignment. I thought once you get rid of the original Nova suspension that problem would go away. No other car does this when you back up.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Hey laser red, my complete CBR set up does the same thing. I had my car aligned at a small shop and then I believe you recommended True Line, which I will be taking it to in the next few weeks. That issue we’re both having I thought it was because it wasn’t aligned properly from the first alignment shop. Hopefully Chuck will chime in on this thread.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
I would agree that the issue is related to “toe in” alignment settings. Whether it is really a problem for every day use is subjective.. When you back up it will pull the tires outward at the bottom. If you like the the way the car handles and behaves with this current setting it probably is not really a functional problem for daily use. With the setting it has now it’s a matter of aesthetics when parked after backing in to a spot. It’s not really a problem other then how the front wheels look. Going to a toe out setting might make car feel a little twitchy at higher speeds. It is a common practice to track prep a car steering setup to the “toe out” when you want a more responsive faster turn in for transitioning through corners.. The “toe out” makes the front inside wheel turn in to the corner more aggressively then a “toe in” setting would. The trade off is in a long straight line run the front end will feel a little loose or twitchy.. A toe in setting will feel more stabile in a straight line.. Most street cars are set up with toe in specs in mind for every day type use. Most people don’t what to attack every corner on their daily commute to work..

·
Premium Member
2,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can't see how toe will effect the camber that much. Especialy standing still. It goes straight fine. Again I have never seen this on other cars.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
I can't see how toe will effect the camber that much. Especialy standing still. It goes straight fine. Again I have never seen this on other cars.
It’s not really affecting the actual camber setting. It’s just the “toe in” when moving in reverse will pull the tires outward at the bottom.. Depending on how much toe in you have they will exaggerate the appearance of negative camber. Actually, when moving forwards they will pull inward a little bit as well.. If you have too much toe in you could have the tires scuffing as you are moving forwards.

·
Premium Member
2,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you for the additional links to look at. It looks like it is very common. After reading I think the caster has more to do with it than the toe, but again it drives straight fine. I still have my tie rods going up hill a little bit to the tie rod end. Still working on that

·
Registered
906 Posts
Hey laser red.....I ended up going to True Line and it feels a lot Cool people to deal with too. I’m glad you recommended them.

The tires still toe in some when reversing but not like before. One side still rubs the fender a bit but I think it’s because I didn’t get the zero offset brakes from RSD. Other than that thanks again.

·
Premium Member
1,380 Posts
I have the complete front components from CBR and the CPP Zero Offset Disc kit. I don't have an engine in my '65 yet so nothing has been aligned. Are you guys saying that the geometry of the CBR Front end will not set up like the original and will have components moving around? That doesn't sound right.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
What their saying is they don’t like seeing the wheels looking cambered out at the bottom when they back up into a parking spot.. The wheels/tires distort a little bit and exaggerate the effects of the alignment when backing up. Tha CBR suspension has very little if any deflection in the control arms since there are heim joints rather then rubber or poly bushings.. My opinion on this matter is that it is really not an issue to be concerned about as long as the alignment is correct for forward motion. If you plan to drive your car in reverse most of the time then you might want to rethink your alignment settings..

·
Premium Member
1,380 Posts
I can truthfully say this is the first I have heard about this until now. If I hadn't read this, I'd most likely been chasing a rabbit trying get my front aligned in the future. Does anyone have a photo of this distortion. Curious to what it looks like.

So, when I finally get the '65 on the road I should be conscious about when I back up. I should pull forward a little to get the tires standing up correctly? Yes, I'm one of the nuts that would be bothered by those tires not standing straight up.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts