Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been through the alignment about 4 times now and it seems I can't get the tires to stop scuffing no matter what setup, even stock specs. Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
20,542 Posts
what size wheel and tire...what is the back spacing?do you have disc brakes up front?

·
Registered
6,794 Posts
as far as stock front ends holding alignment, that is an age old problem:yes: I recommend going to a mini sub frame kit like church boys racing or CPP, this will eliminate future issues with alignment , Ihave church boys racing on both of my cars and our wagon has 14,000 miles on it and front tires are wearing nice and flat:D

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
I'm confused

First, those do move more easily than the newer cars. Now, my question is: what do you mean scuffing? Are you talking about the tire rubbing on sheet metal in a tight turn, or even when you turn? If so, where. When I got my car back on the ground with the correct front springs, I had an issue with the left front rubbing on a fender bolt. The tires were too wide and were to be replaced; the new wheel & tire combination work just fine.

You said you have the back end raised a bunch. That just made me confused. Does that mean you also have a rubbing problem with the rear axle? Could it be that you are hearing noise from the front that is actually being generated by the rear? Look for some shiny metal and see what you can find. It may be as simple as a wheel backspacing issue. My car had 15x8 wheels with -6 offset and 4.5" backspacing, the tires were 235/60 - 15's. The rears had lots of room, and the front was fine too, but the wrong front springs. And yup the brakes were drum...but not now.
Post some pictures, they are always helpful.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts