Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace the vintage polyglas tires on our 70 black L78 TH400 car...they still look great, but I am starting to see some small cracks forming on the backsides of the tires.

So, here are the sizes...Goodyear Polyglas Raised white letter..old school

front F 70 x 15 26" tall..... tread width 6 3/4

rear H 70 x 15 27" tall........tread width 7"

fronts are on 15 x 6 steelies and backs are 15 x 7

approx 4.25 backspacing on the wheels

I'm debating between some repro polys or going with radials...if I go with radials I want a tire that is not too modern looking...appreciate all comments.

wilma

·
Premium Member
2,139 Posts
BFGoodrich T/A Radials. Not the KDW's!:yes:

·
Premium Member
882 Posts
Tires

Tom, does the car have original style shocks or a gas shocks? If you go with radials, you will want a gas shock. Bias ply tires work best with the original style shocks.
I assume with the 15" wheels, originality is not an issue but for my money a black wall tire is the only way to go on a 70. Dog dish caps right?
Just my thoughts, Norm

·
Premium Member
2,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
tires...

norm, the car has regular shocks in front and air shocks in the back...the repro tires are big bucks...I did some measuring and it looks like a 235 x 70 15 would work well on the back and a 215 or 225 on the front.

bfg radial t/a is one of the choices because they have a good selection of sizes...I agree about the black walls..

tom

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Personally Id go with a set of firestone firehawk indy 500's, ive had bfg's before and they do look good but dont perform well, the firehawks look great and are sticky and handle great for the same money. I have a 454 and they are hard to spin. You can check them out and others on www.tirerack.com

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
Have you looked at Coker? You can get a set of modern radials with the red stripe, or even thin white walls to keep that original look.

·
Premium Member
2,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Coker..

Yes, I have looked at their site and Universal Vintage Tires...we have the BFG redline radials on our 69 Camaro...they look great..we also have the Diamond Back Classic redline radials on our 68 BB car...they also look great. The radial redlines are very pricey....this car is kind of a bare bones day 2 style...I don't want to have tires that are $200 each....safety is more important than looks...and I think black walls would be cool on this ride...thanks.

wilma

·
Premium Member
2,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Firehawks

Personally Id go with a set of firestone firehawk indy 500's, ive had bfg's before and they do look good but dont perform well, the firehawks look great and are sticky and handle great for the same money. I have a 454 and they are hard to spin. You can check them out and others on www.tirerack.com
i just realized these are the tires we have on our 68 BB car...they are redline radials made by Diamond Back using that tire...they have always performed great. This is looking like a good choice...now I have to decide on size...should I go with something a little bigger in the rear or go with the same size all around...currenr et up has larger tire in the back...????? wilma

·
Premium Member
2,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
M/T's...

They look cool...and the sizes would line up..215 x 70 x 15 in the front and 235 x 70 x 15 in the rear...wasn't looking to spend $600....good choice to consider...thanks.

wilma

1 - 15 of 15 Posts