Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What wheel/slick combination would fit on a '67 Nova with mini tub? Current tire is 275/60/15. Would a 28x10.50 fit?
Thanks for your help.

·
Premium Member
2,354 Posts
In my 65 I did a 2" minitub and moved the rear back 1" and have a 295/65-15 MT radial in it. It's 30" tall and fits. Barely. Main goal was for a 9X30 GY slick like a stock eliminator car. It fits with a ton of room. A 10X28 fits in the same way, but I'll stick with the 9X30. Dave

·
Registered
769 Posts
In my 65 I did a 2" minitub and moved the rear back 1" and have a 295/65-15 MT radial in it. It's 30" tall and fits. Barely. Main goal was for a 9X30 GY slick like a stock eliminator car. It fits with a ton of room. A 10X28 fits in the same way, but I'll stick with the 9X30. Dave
did it require to notch, or pie cut the frame like the later novas and camaros

·
Registered
476 Posts
We cut the frame out to the inside part of the rail on mine. I run a 325/50/15 MT Drag Radial on it with a 10" rim and 7-1/8" back spacing with a stock width rear. I have also run a MT ET Street 28x12.5x15 which is the exact same size tire on a 10" rim as a Hoosire Quick Time Pro DOT 28x11.5x15. I had one on each tire at a time.

I also have a pair of 275 MT Drag Radials that I run on a 10" rim with 6.5" of back spacing on the car now also. There is at least a 1/2" more room on both sides of the tire than the 325s.

·
Premium Member
2,354 Posts
I didn't do any notching. We put 2x3 frame rails in from C/E. Moved everything in 2" and 1" back. I'll post pics if I can. Dave

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
There isn't much room in those little cars. Where is that 62 of yours anyways? I thought you were gonna sell it

·
Premium Member
2,354 Posts
The stock frame rails, if you want to call them that, are just stamped sheet metal. Really pimpy if you ask me. If you want to put any power to it, you'll be putting real frame rails in anyway. My .02. The main thing on mine was the roll bar. It really tied everything together. Dave

·
Registered
769 Posts
The stock frame rails, if you want to call them that, are just stamped sheet metal. Really pimpy if you ask me. If you want to put any power to it, you'll be putting real frame rails in anyway. My .02. The main thing on mine was the roll bar. It really tied everything together. Dave
Really ? is that the case ? So all the Psca cars, Wchra cars that run stock suspension classes, that require factory frame rails done count? Does that mean the pass that Al made at the scsn last year running 7.56 @ 180 on a 275 tire shouldnt have happened, or Artis houston running 8.16 and winning the W/S champ on 05 and then running 7.90, alont with a bunch of others dont prove it works ?
I dont belive you need aftermarket frame rails , that devalue the cars resale since the car cant be run in any stock suspension classes. But hey thats just me,what do I know, Thes are the cars I see . But who knows I guess we are doing something wrong whan we can take off the shelf parts to build an engine,stock suspension and run 5.74 and still drive the car on the street

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Get m AntNEE!!!!

I fit a 315 under my 67 nova with stock rails,10" wheel dbl beadlocked and a notch job.:yes:

·
Registered
46 Posts
I had 275/60/15 cooper cobras on my 66 that were tight and went to a 28/9/15 mt et drag and they are close on a 15X9 rim. You have to be careful with different manufacturers as they may list the same tire size but they are actually very different. Measure what your tires you know work and then look up the specs of the tires for each manufacturer.

·
Premium Member
2,354 Posts
Really ? is that the case ? So all the Psca cars, Wchra cars that run stock suspension classes, that require factory frame rails done count? Does that mean the pass that Al made at the scsn last year running 7.56 @ 180 on a 275 tire shouldnt have happened, or Artis houston running 8.16 and winning the W/S champ on 05 and then running 7.90, alont with a bunch of others dont prove it works ?
I dont belive you need aftermarket frame rails , that devalue the cars resale since the car cant be run in any stock suspension classes. But hey thats just me,what do I know, Thes are the cars I see . But who knows I guess we are doing something wrong whan we can take off the shelf parts to build an engine,stock suspension and run 5.74 and still drive the car on the street
Didn't mean to step on anyones toes, that is just my opinion. And yes, the frame rails are very pimpy in these cars. I feel a little better with my 2x3 frames and a roll bar to tie it all together. They can do what they want with their cars and add as much power as they want. I only plan on running 11's in the 1/4 with mine and want to be as safe as possible. My roll bar is welded to a frame. Not a floorpan. If they run the stock suspension class that's their preference. I'd like to see the rules for that class. I don't think those cars have bone stock front and rear suspensions. If they do, more power to them. Dave

1 - 19 of 19 Posts