Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I measured my rear wheel well and I can fit a 26"X8" tire back there with an inch clearance all the way around, but how do I figure out what tires fit those dimensions. Is there a formula to figure out height and width of a tire by using the numbers on the sidewall? For instance a P225/70R15 equals 27"X8" I hope you guys understand what I'm talking about I really don't know how to explain it.

·
Premium Member
2,333 Posts
Discounttire.com has a tire size converter that tells you all the demensions for a given size tire. It's pretty cool.

Section Height
This is also known as the Aspect Ratio. This is figured as a percentage of the section width. A tire size of 205/60R15 would have a section width of 205 millimeters and a section height of 60 percent of 205 millimeters.

Tire calculator - http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoTireMath.dos

-Aaron

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
Don't use the marked numbers (255 etc.), use the manufacturers numbers or do it yourself. If you go into a tire store and measure 10 different 255 sized tires, you will get 10 different measurements! I've had 255's(Goodyear) fit with no problem; while a 245 (Michelin) rubbed everywhere! BFG's tend to be on the small side, others are all over the place.

·
Premium Member
9,228 Posts
YES, each manufacturer's tire even though they are stamped with the same size are usually slightly different in size. If you go to their websites, they will show the exact specs. You want to look at section width and diameter. They also show the recommended rim sizes.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Once you have decided on a tire size, don't forget to determine what backspacing you'll need to ensure proper fit. I've got 16X7 ralley wheels with 4.75 inches of backspacing and 225/50/16's. They fit beautiful with no rubbage.

·
Premium Member
14,614 Posts
Pay very careful attention to the "section width" of the tires you're considering. While a 224, 235, 234 might indicate the tread width of the tire, that often ISN'T the widest point of the tire. Often, the widest point is the "section" area, the space between sidewalls.

Most people who later have issues after tires have been mounted have issues with the sidewalls rubbing on something, which directly correlates to the section width of the selected tire.

If you've got 11" of clearance in your wheel wells, you're section width better be smaller than 11" if you want the tire to fit; probably closer to 10.5" or less to account for chassis/body movement.

·
Premium Member
13,245 Posts
NovatoriusRex said:
Pay very careful attention to the "section width" of the tires you're considering. While a 224, 235, 234 might indicate the tread width of the tire, that often ISN'T the widest point of the tire. Often, the widest point is the "section" area, the space between sidewalls.
Rex brings up a VERY important point. For instance, my 28x11.50 ET Streets have a 9" tread, but section width is 11" or so.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts